Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can ducks' feet freeze off?  (Read 8402 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
can ducks' feet freeze off?
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
No , this is not a joke, dear friends in a more moderate climate...

I noticed today after nearly 2 weeks of heavy frost, that some of my ducks are limping. I know their webs are innervated as one was injured before - can they actually freeze off like chilblains? I'm very concerned... :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: can ducks' feet freeze off?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »
can you get close enough to have a good look?
It brought to mind a bit in my grandad's Pictoral Poultry book (1930s) about trimming a cockerels comb to avoid frostbite, and photos of the damage.

I really dont know how much damage their feet would withstand,  maybe they need some carpet down over the frosted ground?!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
no, I can't get close, they are very shy. When I let them out in the morning they shoot off and stay under the hedge all day. I am waiting for a hay delivery, so I can't put anything down before it comes. Not sure if carpet would make much difference, once it starts snowing again it will be soaked through. I suppose they wouldn't have that problem with a better water supply, like a river or pond...do feel guilty for keeping them just now  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »
Mine sit on their feet from time to time - that warms them up I think.  But I leave the pop holes open all day so they can come and go as they please.  I noticed my mother duck sitting just inside yesterday on the straw so at least she has some sense!  I noticed Jamie's comb was a bit darker at the ends - so I hope he hasn't got frostbite.  I thought they would bleed if you tried to cut them?  I'm certainly not going to try that one.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »
we put vaseline on our chickens feet to give them a bit more protection and also lay some straw round and about so they aren't standing on the snow and ice all day.  I wonder if you catch them as they come out the coop in the morning you might be able to put some on?  (takes two people usually!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:47 pm »
I've put straw down in my run too.  I saw them pecking at the straw sometimes and today I saw they had gathered a few strands together and were vying for position on it - like a wee island.  Who says chickens have no brains!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »
I'll keep the ducks in their run tomorrow, the space under their house is the only snow and ice free area, so no free ranging until it gets better! I won't attempt catching any one of them, that would traumatise them forever! The hens are just staying in their house, they are no bother... :&>

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 02:10:18 am »
I noticed our Cayuga's decided to stay in ther house for most of today- so maybe they are fed up of ice and snow too.

Beth

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:20:56 am »
My ducks live out 24/7 on a large pond, they do have a house but never go in, to be honest I've never considered that their feet could freeze? The pond has been pretty much solid for a few weeks on and off with a small hole that they swim in, they run across the ice at feedtime and I havent noticed any injury?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:38 am »
I couldn't leave them in the run this morning as the gate is frozen solid, so much for plans...It's not quite so bitterly cold today, I hope they will be feeling better. Not sure if they actually are injured, they look ok from a few feet away, but they obviously were in pain yesterday. Dixie, yours must be doing better as they can use their feet the way they should in the pond!  :&>

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:27 am »
we have only 1 drake and 1 duck at present (15 eggs in incubator sooo excited)  we have only a make shift pond at the moment to the garden bit there in gets organised in the spring. I have been defrosting it every day with fresh water and leaving there door open to the house, just been and checked them and there feet seem ok, never thought about them freezing..
Lavinia

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:55:18 pm »
our ducks have found the loose hay around the feeding hecks and lie on that most of the day
Ian

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:26 pm »
have you ever heard of ducks frozen feet before?, if not then they probably dont, they may get a limp on hard frozen ground. chinese geese nobs can freeze ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »
That's a relief, Harry  ;D
I was trying to be logical - they hurt when injured and don't do what they are supposed to (swim in running water), why can they not have frostbite? But I'm glad if they can't! They were better today as not so cold . Where did you find the one with the knobs?? Google?   ;D  ::) Have to tell the boys to put it away, they are still amorous in this weather, any exercise will do I suppose to keep warm :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
well its not 100 % but has anyone heard of feet freezing????? someone up north should have heard of it by now. yup chinese geese nobs can freeze, perhaps its because they wave it about all the time in the cold weather, and its about 2feet off the ground when erect
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:17:00 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS