Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drooping ear on ewe lamb  (Read 7036 times)

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
Drooping ear on ewe lamb
« on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
Handled my ewe lambs today as was dosing with flukicide. All seemed fit and well, good condition. Anyway, when I ran them back to their field afterwards I noticed one had a drooping ear. Any ideas what the cause is, and should I consult a vet? Quick search suggests listeriosis, tapeworm or ear infection. Shouldn't be the first one as we've not been feeding them anything yet, just grass. Any suggestions, has anyone seen this? Thanks

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Drooping ear on ewe lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:12:48 pm »
is it swollen at the end?  They can get infected and all the"gunk" weights the ear down. We just release the pus with a sharp blade and spray up with terramycin blue spray, anitbiotic jab wouldn't go amiss either.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »
If nothing external could it be cauliflower ear from having a wee bash-up with one of her mates? I have had it in goat kids... it resolves itself at some point.

If she was fit and well on coming into the pen to be handled I wouldn't panic just yet.

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
Thanks guys, I feel a bit better about it now. Yes she seemed fine when we were handling her. I'll keep my eye out for weird behaviours, dribbling, losing condition etc and keep my fingers crossed  :fc:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »
no I would get her in and have a proper look.  If its infected she could feel proper poorly.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:17:35 am »
Is she tagged?  If the tag is poorly applied so it goes through the cartilage, then the ear will have lost its support and will droop.   If it's just on one side then it's unlikely to be a general health issue I would have thought, more likely an injury of some kind.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:12:42 pm »
OK, we'll have a closer look next time we get them in. Having said that, my husband checked them all close up in the field yesterday and couldn't even see the drooping ear. Maybe it's just one of those odd things. Yes she is tagged, you're right, could be a tagging issue...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
Ear mites?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS