Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubating again  (Read 4173 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
incubating again
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:49 am »
hi again

i have been doing a bit of research since my last post.

but i am reading a couple of temperatures to set the eggs 37.2 and 39.2 both 21 days
and also i have seen 50% humidity

the eggs going in are light sussex at the minute

anyone else shed a bit more light on it

thanks
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: incubating again
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:39:05 am »
Depending on where your incubator is sited. The temperature I set mine at is 37.06.
As the eggs get nearer to hatching the eggs start producing their own heat, so I normally drop the temperature down to around 37.03  37-04.

Remember that temperature readings are logarithmic.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »
I set eggs in an incubator that's been running for at least 12 hours at 37.4 deg. and reduce the temperature to 36.8 on Day 19. I never add water - was advised not to by Sue and Shaun Hammon of the Wernlas Collection, who hatched hundreds every week.  They considered it unnecessary In our humid climate and likely to result in overlarge chicks that couldn't turn their heads sufficiently to pip the eggs.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »
I run nearly dry at 37.4 deg C and 30 RH until just before hatching then drop temp slightly and get as much humidity as possible during pipping, especially when the weather is particularly hot and dry as I have a blown air incubator that shrink wrapped the eggs last time in spite of the correct humidity reading on the display. How is the fertility at this time? I will start hatching again in early spring. I am hoping to get a still air hatcher which would hopefully fix the shrink wrap problem and stop fluff going everywhere.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Helen

cuckoomarans

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »
if its a fan assisted incubator the temperature needs to be  37.5
if its a still air incubator the temp needs to be 37.5 with the thermometer level with the middle of the eggs or 39 resting on top of the eggs

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »
I am using a brinsea advance incubator it is fan assisted,
It's first time Im putting eggs in the incubator,
I'm looking forward to it
Will let you know how I get on

Thanks for the advice

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:12 pm »
Follow the Brinsea instructions. They'll tally with the incubator. I've got two Brinsea Octagons which I imagine would be the same and it'll certainly be 37. something rather than 39. something. If you want to be really sophisticated, you need to measure weight loss - you weigh them at the start and then every few days to check they're losing the right proportion. TBH, I don't normally bother with chicken eggs but for harder to hatch waterfowl it's worth it.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
hi
ye thats what i use the octagon advance 20! ive set them at 37.4 and 30-32% humidity i set them wednesday so will candle at 5-7 days see how there doing

cheers

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »
I am reluctant to incubate any more eggs, because last time was a horrible disaster and very upsetting. I hope you do well with the chicks. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »
Hi again
I set the eggs 22 days ago and I have got 2 hatched and the other 4 have pipped All light Sussex pretty happy with my first time at incubating hopefully they will all suburb then next couple of days

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
Congrats!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:47:06 pm »
Congrats - still think you're completely mad hatching at this time of year but it'll be fun to have little chicks at Christmas as opposed to Easter!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:35 pm »
I have a heated stable that I will be keeping them in and will let them out on milder days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS