Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Magical Solution Please!  (Read 4919 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
A Magical Solution Please!
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:01:46 pm »
Is there any way to stop our dogs whining in the morning.  I know that I should think its wonderful that they are all excited by the dawn of a new day, but none of us can even turn over in bed after 5am without them starting.

Ralph (age 10) had always been bad for whining, but Henry (14 weeks) is in a different league!  How do we stop it?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: A Magical Solution Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »
I had a similar thing with my greyhound, she decided 5am was a good time to get up and bark! I tried ignoring her but no luck, so I got up said 'NO', and to go back to bed, then left the room, as soon as she barked again I repeated, after a few days she got the message ;D HTH

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »
We've tried that and they stop for a bit, but as soon as they hear another movement from upstairs they start off again.  Also sometimes they stay quiet until my OH's alarm goes off at 6 and then are rewarded with him coming downstairs so I can understand why they do it, but I just wish they would wait for the alarm everyday!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:41:34 pm »
Dont give up, you have to keep on and on, be more relentless than them! Bloomin hard work aren't they!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
If they are warm enough, have comfortable sleeping quarters, well fed, have been out just before bedtime for a wee and anything else they need to do, the curtains/blinds are well closed so they can't see dawn breaking then it is purely and simply attention seeking.  Like any child if you want to keep your sanity you have to show them the limits.  Dixie is unfortunately quite correct - it's the only way, and to be honest every new pup should be shown the way from the start.  Mine already have and they aren't off to their new homes yet.  If this damned snow goes away they might have a chance of getting here. One couple due today at lunchtime haven't appeared yet, nor phoned (hope they didn't try my mobile as it's lost), second one due to arrive tomorrow lunchtime and the other two next Saturday - I long for the day. ;) ;D ;D  I love puppies but at 9 weeks they need their new Mums and Dads.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
I have to say our dogs are very good at not whining in the morning. They know full well they have to fit in with our routine, and sometimes that changes. It is odd actually, because my mum is normally up and lets them out by 6am at the latest (She likes getting up early!). But if mum goes away for the weekend, or week, or we take the dogs away with us to a show- not a peep out of them until we get up even if thats 9am! Part of what may help, is they are at least 3 rooms away!

Alex's parents have 2 greyhounds, which are bad for whining, and they get let away with it because they are rescue greyhounds, and Alex and his parents think they are too used to routine to change. Not so sure I would be so chuffed when they whine every morning at 5:30!

Beth

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:10:11 pm »
You are absolutely right Annie it is attention seeking!  I just mentioned Dixies suggestion to my OH which fell flat as a pancake!!!  I think its the idea of going up and downstairs in the early hours that doesn't feel tempting!  I feel that we should try and get on top of the problem now otherwise we potentially have the whole of Henry's lifetime whining!  So I guess it falls to me to do it.  How long do you think it will take?  Ralph is 10 and has always done it - can we teach an old dog new tricks?  He paces at the bottom of the stairs.  Henry is in a puppy crate.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 08:43:54 pm »
Can you have Henry's crate in your room for a bit, to save you traipsing up and down.  You can then move him out to the landing, then maybe into another room with the door closed, then downstairs?  And the old dog too - presumably he has a bed of his own although not a cage/crate?  You definitely can teach and old dog new tricks.  Stand firm or you'll have a problem all their lives.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:27:52 am »
I would persevere, just have it in your head your gonna be disturbed every morning unitl its sorted, I'd leave pup in the cage, can the older dog be put into a room rather than pacing the bottom of the stairs?
Honestly its hard but so worth it, as soon as they whine, get up go down say 'NO' in a firm voice, direct them back to bed then off you go, keep repeating............................... When YOU decide its time to get up, if they are quiet then praise them and be pleased to see them, they soon get the idea that whining gets scolded and quiet gets praise! Even the older dog should learn, good luck

sandy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:33:48 am »
We never had that problem until I bought a Patterdale Terrier, he was a needy chap, came into the bed every night otherwise he would moan and wine, and as we had a terraced house I did not want to disturb the neighbor so gave in to him...how wrong, keep firm from the start and tell them no and put them back into thier bed!!! our other dog was brilliant from the start, a ROttie Cross, never even barked unless there was some one around....then, I worked a few miles away and used to pop in and out to check and my neighbour told me they were both making a hell of a din.....I heard them from outside, the Patterdale had a high pitched bark and the Rottie was howling as he did not like the noise...I went in and told them off and they did stop, that is while I was sat outside in the car but I know it was the breed or temrament of the dog rather than anything else, he got ran over as he was an escape artist and none of our other dogs have done it, other than making sure they are warm, comfy and dry, I used to also leave the radio on....good luck..maybe we will have that problem one day again..hope not
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:37:13 am by sandy »

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:12:10 pm »
Good idea Annie, but I'd rather go up and down stairs than have the dogs in our room.  Dogs have never been allowed upstairs in our family and I don't think we could even get Ralph to come up if we tried.  Henry learnt by day 2 that front paws on bottom step are as high as you are allowed to go!

We will perservere with going down and saying no, but close the sittingroom door so Ralph can't pace.

qpd4ever

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »
As a professional dog trainer may I offer some advice, look further. The advice you are getting is all sound, but don't try to solve the problem purely in isolation.

I would guess that there may be short comings in the way you interact with your dogs and the relationship you have with them during the rest of the day as well (whether you realise it or not) these will need addressing also.

Perseverance is the key, but also an honest appraisal about how your relationship with them is going. Two whiny dogs suggests there is perhaps slightly more to this. The manner in which you routinely interact with them possibly leads to this problem.

If you reward attention seeking behavior during the day and don't have the dogs respect so when you say NO they don't do it again (and they understand clearly what NO means) then you may need to have a think about where it's all going wrong.

All I can say if they came to live with me the behaviour would stop very quickly (if it indeed started), adjust how you interact with them (for the better) and it will stop for you too.(sorry if that sounds arrogant its not meant too, its just that this happens over and over again in my line of work).

IT is stoppable, find the cause, find the solution. This is difficult without seeing you or the dogs but experience would suggest (without being horrible) you are the cause.

The magic solution ...........well thats how I make my living.

But be assured there is a solution and the advice you are getting on here is sound, just take it to the next level look further than just the problem you have described I would be very surprised that small changes in your daily routine wouldn't make a huge change in their morning routine.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »
They now only whine when they hear my OHs alarm clock go off so at least we get a lie in now on his days off.

As far as how we interact with ours dogs I wouldn't have a clue where we are going right or wrong, but I guess thats the same with most people.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »
My house girl(for the moment as they are rotated lol) barked in the early hours of this morning.  Since my three grandchildren were staying overnight and I didn't want them wakened, I got up and loudly whispered for her to be quiet, strangely enough her 'husband' and son didn't open their mouths.  Anyway as a result I missed all the action. - Drugged driver on bypass, three police cars with sirens and blue lights and a wee dog missing in the dark.  Knew nothing about ti till my neighbour called this evening!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS