Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCAGS fencing grants  (Read 4913 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
CCAGS fencing grants
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »
Does anybody know if there are specifications for the standards that fences must be built to to be eligible for a grant? E.g. stobs/m, distance between strainers, wire gauge, etc?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: CCAGS fencing grants
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:34 am »
I'm not sure but would guess that as long as it is fit for purpose it would be OK.

I heard of someone who was turned down when they applied for a fencing grant as said it would all be post and rail fencing.  I presume that the CC turned them down as they though 1) it is probably for horses and the grants are there to support agriculture not horses and 2) for stock, a wire fence would be cheaper and do a better job so it would be a bad use of funds to award the grant.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:08:53 pm »
I would check with the grant awarding body. There certainly used to be very precise requirements and I can remember my father cursing because the grant inspector wanted a third wire adding half way up a fence. That will have been over 30 years ago, though...

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
My local RPID office were very helpful and have given me a copy of the required standards. A few surprises in there, strainers can be quite weedy, it seems, but other than upping te size of those it's a good guide to go with.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »
Update: Have got one quote from my local guy, any of the Sgianachs on here recommend a fencer? PM if you know of anyone :)

Cheers

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:37:42 am »
Another update.
I missed the deadline for the end of the CAGS scheme so now have to wait until the new grant system is in place. So for yet another year my croft remains unfenced and unused. Boo!
Hope to get it sorted in the spring.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:25:49 pm »
When does the new system kick in,do you know. I'm off to one of the roadshow presentations on the 24th, regarding the new payments, crags ect,not sure if anyone has been to one yet and if so was it useful.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:40 pm »
We had RPID at the Smallholders Conference on Basic Payments and SRDP. Still a bit vague I fear on the SRDP - Basic Scheme seems to be fairly complete.

There's now an household income means test for the Small Farm Grant Scheme.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:02 am »
I may have misheard but I think the government man at the smallholders conference mentioned that it might be September before all the schemes were signed off and ready to go.
I hope they get things moving faster as that is quite a long gap with nothing available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS