Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wool combs  (Read 19028 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Wool combs
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »
Ah.  Good point.  Sorry about your thumbs joints, FW.   :bouquet:

I guess, as with any activity using the hands, short periods of activity and then a rest, or at least a change of activity, is advisable.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »
Ah.  Good point.  Sorry about your thumbs joints, FW.   :bouquet:

I guess, as with any activity using the hands, short periods of activity and then a rest, or at least a change of activity, is advisable.

Yes, good advice......just don't replace combing with using a heavy rotavator  ::)   I alternated the two for several weeks a number of years ago now and my thumbs still play up sometimes. Here are some thumbs -  :thumbsup: for the ones I've damaged  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »
Hi Fleecewife

I have just spun my finest thread to date, it looks like a fine sewing thread, It makes my normal DK look like rope.

Having looked at the utube videos, I used a carder/hair comb, then used the carder like a Hackle, wow!!!!

Thank you.

SV

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:09 pm »
To follow up on my original post, OH didn't buy me wool combs, but a lovely electric blue suede handbag! So, with a recent tax rebate I treted myself to some Wingham hand held mini combs. They can be clamped to a table to have one static one, but I need to buy some clamps to do that. They arrived yesterday, and I have spent part if this morning taming some very knotty, disordered alpaca. I am getting the hang of combing, I think, and find the combs comfortable to use. I will keep you posted with how I am progressing!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 01:44:31 pm »
Glad you got your combs eventually and the electric blue suede hambag sounds fab. Send it this way when you get tired of it  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:03 pm »
Could we have an update if you have time please?

Are you still pleased with them?
Did you try them clamped to a table?
What fibres are you using them on?

thank you.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
I am combing alpaca and some wool I acquired with my first wheel I don't know what it is, but it has a small amount of crimp and a staple length of about 3 inches (I think, haven't actually measured the length!). It combs out to be lovely and smooth and spins well. I haven't tried them clamped to the table yet, that will happen when I have a bit more room on my work table - it us covered in tomato plants at the moment! I am hoping I might be able to buy some more fleece at Wonder wool, so can tell you more after that.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:10 pm »
Thank you.
I'm trying to decide which combs to buy.

Where do you live and what kind of fleece are you after.  I have shetland sheep and mohair.

Do you know which day you're going to wonderwool?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 10:57:20 pm »
I am interested in any suitable fleece. As a relatively new spinner I am still trying out different types to,see what I like best. I live in South Devon, and I am hoping to go to Wonderwool on he Saturday.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 07:22:42 am »
I will be there on the Sat too  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:13 pm »
And me.  :D :D :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:31:54 am »
Lesley, I thought you wern't able to go?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 07:34:45 am »
Lesley, just seen your other post so I know you are going now. Did you know that the cottage you are staying in is only about 10 mins from me?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 09:57:01 pm »
Yes, I did, Sally ,because we visited Linda last year when we stayed in Mandy's cottage. Maybe we can meet up this year. I'm bringing my wheel. I did quite a lot of spinning last year in the garden at Mandy and Derek's place.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:01 am »
If you are interested you could come with me to our spinning group on the Tuesday afternoon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS