Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 year Exchequers laying small eggs  (Read 2149 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
2 year Exchequers laying small eggs
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:11:08 am »
I picked up 8 Exchequer Leghorns a few weeks back, all 2 years old. Housed them up and they have just started to lay (and boy do they lay). Problem is that a lot of the eggs are quite small. I've got one (unrelated) in another pen and she lays nice medium sized eggs. They are definitely not pullets so have been through a moult.

I've never noticed this with any other hens after moult, they all seem to start with big eggs but I have heard some say that first eggs after moult can be smaller.  I've also heard that extra protein may be needed. They are on standard layers at the moment. Maybe I need to put them on breeders pellets?

Any experiences of this?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: 2 year Exchequers laying small eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:45:35 am »
A lot will depend on the strain.My line lays small eggs up till year 3, but makes up for it in numbers. If your going to run the line on try hatching eggs from a strain that has bigger eggs, or out cross to a pure white leghorn.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:50:43 am »
Agreed, could be just their genetics, more smaller eggs rather than fewer large eggs.

Are you 100% positive on the age and that these aren't their first eggs?

Usually the eggs would be larger after a moult but if the birds have lost a bit of bodyweight then the smaller egg size could be a result of that.

A higher energy intake as opposed to a higher protein intake should help egg size so maybe some extra wheat or maize might do the job

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
Thanks, pretty sure they are second year birds but not 100%. They look older than POL and have well flopped combs. I think I'll keep them going and just hatch from the bigger eggs as mentioned. Don't mind the little eggs but not really suitable for sale as hatching eggs which was hopefully going to pay for their keep a bit.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:58 pm »
A worm burden can reduce the size of the eggs by up to 10% in my experience, so worth giving them a course of Flubenvet if you haven't already done so Stereo.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS