Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - sheep starter flock nr. Cambs  (Read 1542 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Wanted - sheep starter flock nr. Cambs
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
Hi All,

We've had a good experience with our cade lambs this year and are feeling ready to take the next step and get a small starter flock together. Ideally looking for 6-10 ewes. Been having a bit of trouble finding any available through my local farming friends so throwing it out here in case anyone know of anything going. Last resort will be hitting Melton Mowbray for in lamb ewes after Christmas but I much prefer buying of farm if at all possible.

Thanks,

Ben

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Wanted - sheep starter flock nr. Cambs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
It's not the best time of year to be buying breeding ewes, as must are going / have gone to the tup. If not . . . you'd have to ask why not? It might be a better idea to look for a bunch of this years ewe lambs, to over winter and breed from next year, you will likely get better stock and it'll be cheaper. It's worth having a look on farmingads and preloved and maybe ask on thefarmingforum and look at the farmers weekly classifieds, and the Baca sheep list (sorry if you're not allowed to mention other forums!). I often see animals for sale at those places.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Wanted - sheep starter flock nr. Cambs
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:40:39 pm »
It's a couple of hours drive but I have 4 suffolk ewe lambs, well grown, which have been running with my black Welsh ram so hopefully in lamb. Will sell if interested. Bucket trained and should make good mums. Based in Wiltshire, PM if interested.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS