Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone make a wooden boot store similar to this?  (Read 6393 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Anyone make a wooden boot store similar to this?
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:22:05 am »
If so can you let me know roughly how much one would be please.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Anyone make a wooden boot store similar to this?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »
What a cool idea - fancy one myself!   :idea:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:34:11 pm »
Old broom handle cut into lengths, drill bit that makes holes (to the right size) and a length of wood about 6"-8" wide and 1" thick. Make holes at suitable intervals, twist in a piece of the cut broom handle and you have yourself a boot tidy!

My theory is good. Not sure I will be very good putting it into practice!  :roflanim:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:34 pm »
Problem I have with things like that is you have to handle the wellies to put them into it.  Mine are always too mucky and I step out of trousers and wellies together so it wouldn't work.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:04:11 pm »
Problem I have with things like that is you have to handle the wellies to put them into it.  Mine are always too mucky and I step out of trousers and wellies together so it wouldn't work.

Exactly the same thing here.  :mud:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »
Remember this isn't supposed to be a critique of the design, it's a wanted ad.

I'll start the bidding at £350 (postage included  ;) ).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:29 pm »
Hang it a bit higher up and make a hand stand against it.... no need to touch them. Putting them on should work the same way I guess.... :idea:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:40:57 am »
Hang it a bit higher up and make a hand stand against it.... no need to touch them. Putting them on should work the same way I guess.... :idea:

:roflanim: :roflanim:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:22:11 am »
I replied to this last night but its been removed?

I just said I thought it a great idea and might have a go myself but asked what size and whether ply or hardwood is used as that would affect costs.  It wasn't a bid as such but something to try when I finish the clocks and mirrors I'm working on just now.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:28:47 am »
The ones I've seen which look diy looked like hard wood rather than ply which might separate if they start to get wet. I think it would be fun to try on a dark wet evening. It doesn't have to be up high, I have a metal one sitting on the ground. The thicker and heavier the base piece is the less likely it will be to topple over.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:35:44 am »
from the picture some 6x1 treated boards and some broom handle couple of hours work and some paint if i was making to sell as a 1 off it would be around the 40-50 mark, i would imagine if you were in the mood to make several on a punt you could get unit cost down to 30-40 just through its much quicker to make several than just 1...

if you wanted a really smooth finished sanded and polished version (why would you its for wellies) icould see a retail point for hand made in the 75 range...

am i currently looking for projects like this NO!!! but i think those are fairly good guestimates based on materials and effort assuming someone already had all the tools...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 08:50:22 am »
The one in the picture is on sale for £59 but they have only got it in cream  :(
There is another similar one but it stands on the ground that is £165  ???

I wanted one for OH for Christmas but definitely not paying the higher price. Just thought if anyone on here was making one I would rather give the money to them that some unknown.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:54 am »
Just shown a friend it and he is going to make us one, he reckons he could make them easy
Graham

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:16:43 am »
Darn, I've been undercut!  ;D

You're right, you'll never keep a cream one clean. However, it would be easy enough to overpaint it in the colour of your choice.

What confuses me is how do you then get from outside to inside without getting your socks soggy?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:33:27 am »
You would have to have it inside but then, the floor would still be filthy and a few sheets of newspaper or a bit of cardboard would do just as well, surely.
Sorry, Bionic but I think this has been designed and made by someone who's idea of wearing wellies is to tip-toe down to get the post/newspaper.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS