Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mucky bum slow to clear?  (Read 3494 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Mucky bum slow to clear?
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:13:51 am »
One of my lambs got a very mucky bum last week, FEC confirmed worms, the vet prescribed Combinex to cover possible fluke infection as well (though I thought combination products are not recommended?  ???)
 I dosed him on Wednesday, he has dried up a bit but poo still not 'normal' (still soft but not runny any more). He looks like he's lost a bit of weight but is otherwise happy.
How long until he completely dries up, if the wormer has been effective? Or am I just being impatient?
How long should I wait until I do another FEC to confirm?
Anything else that I could do to help him recover?

Thank you for any advice.

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Mucky bum slow to clear?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »
 Yes you are being impatient , it may take weeks /months or never if you want to see pellets , depends on the amount of gut damage .    Levamisole  needs a second fec 7-10 days after dosing if you need to check for resistance .    Time is the best healer , good grass  and a small amount of  hard feed plus mins and vits will help recovery

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »
Did you worm all of your sheep/lambs in that field and did you move them to cleaner pasture a day or so after worming? If you only did one and s/he stays in the same field most likely gets wormy again soon...

Also if all your other ones are clean I would suspect that this one has got some previous condition which makes him more susceptible to worms - is he smaller than the rest? Could have had cocci as a lamb, and/or infected with fluke as well.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 11:15:03 pm »
Thanks for the input Shep and Anke. I shall be more patient and continue to watch closely.
I have been FECing regularly (every 4 weeks - the amount of money Westgate get off me...  ::) and so far there have been no problems. The FECs I did at the same time for the rest of the flock (lambs/adults separately) were OK too (clear or <150) so I haven't treated the others at this point. I try to worm only if necessary.
Lamb in question is one of the biggest ones, he never had a problem before and he's the only one with issues now. Obviously he must have a higher susceptibility for some reason or another. Combinex should cover for immature fluke I understand (FECs are all clear of adult fluke).

I only have two fields to rotate between, I moved them 4 weeks ago, not sure it would be of much use to move them back so soon? Current field is much bigger and with better grass.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:14 am »
Could you subdivide the fields with electric fencing?  Getting a good grazing rotation system is bad for worms and good for grass.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
I'm getting some subdivisions done with proper stock fencing at the moment, but that's still work in progress  :fc:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
A little update:
Spoke to the vet again and had new FEC done to make sure wormer has worked.
FEC was clear of worms but now showed cocci (this didn't show up on the first test  ???)
After a dose of Vecoxan and a few doses of live yoghurt he has now dried up  :)
(and got very tame in the process)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:11:40 pm »
Good job, LadyK, and thanks for letting us know.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:54:45 pm »
Many animals/ birds  including humans have cocci in small numbers , and when your lamb  was unthrifty  and had gut damage they just multiplied quickly and this is probably why the different  results .  Glad alls well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS