Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Footvax does it work?  (Read 2799 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
Footvax does it work?
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:04 pm »
anyone have any experience with this foot rot vaccine, if so does it actually work? we dont generally have foot rot but this product sounds interesting..as not saw anything like it..i no it has been out for a quite a few years..anyone here used it or know of anyone who has used it?..how often do you vaccinate with it? is it effective?
thanks  :)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Footvax does it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:26 pm »
If you don't have a problem then don't vaccinate  ;D

I have found it to be a useful tool when there is endemic footrot in a flock but it needs to used along with other tools----

1) Footbathing and then putting animals onto footrot clear ground
2) Culling everything that gets footrot after vaccination ---NO exceptions

Using that kind of program I have cut foot problems significantly----recently one client had over 20% annual footrot incidence, 2 years later they have quit routine trimming and reduced foot treatments to under 2% (1400 ewe flock)

Some people experience reactionary lumps on the vaccination site but clean needles will help this

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Footvax does it work?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:34 pm »
We used Footvax in 2007 - checked and sprayed feet of any suspect sheep first, then moved them to fresh grazing and moved them again after 16 days onto further fresh grazing. Haven't seen footrot or scald since - we run a closed flock and quarantine any new rams.  Did see lumps on the injection site, particularly hoggetts, despite using a fresh needle each time.  I would vaccinate outside fly season if doing it again, to avoid having to get the sheep up every couple of days and spray the area where they'd been rubbing the lumps against fenceposts, etc.  Worth every penny to know I'll not be seeing that smelly grey mess when I turn up a foot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS