Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stress related wool loss?  (Read 3645 times)

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
stress related wool loss?
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »
 :'(   Last Wednesday I was looking at my tiny flock ( 3 coloured ryeland ewes and a bottle- reared welsh mountain wether),  and noticed one of the ryelands had raised wool over her shoulders. When I checked her, an area of wool, about three inches wide running across her shoulders and towards each front leg, just peeled away in my hands!! some skin was attached to the wool in places but  the skin on the ewe  was clean and dry. There were two hairline cracks in the skin which I sprayed with antiseptic spray. They are in the field next to the house and I see them several times a day from varous windows in the house so, I knew she had been acting totally normally over the past weeks.  I called the vet out and she spent ages inspecting the skin and the wool, There were  no signs of lice or flees. No oozing, redness or scabs.  She took several skin scrapings, which showed that it was not scab, thank goodness. The ewes temperature was a tiny bit low , breath sounds a tiny bit rough but no indication of infecton. She is up to date with Heptovac P plus. The vet suspects that it is a homonal/ endocrine problem, from something that has happened in the past few months. The ewe did have a day about two months ago when she was definately out of sorts. I thought at the time she had been struck, but could find no evidence of eggs or maggots on her , so just treated her anyway and gave her a dose of multimitamins.   The vet has left me 3ml of zuprevo injectable, in case she goes downhill, but so far she is eating/ drinking normally and runs down the field to me with the others if I go into the field.  Has anyone out their had any experience of something like this? 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:49:42 am by Whittsend »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: stress related wool loss?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »
 stress related wool loss is very common so no worries

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:29 am »
Thank you for that reply Shep.  I spoke to the vet again today and she told me that, a few years ago, her father     ( a sheep farmer) had a ewe that aborted twin lambs and lost her entire fleece. She assures me that even if a lot more wool comes away she is fine to stay outside with the others for company, even if the weather gets wet and cold. They do have a field shelter so I am hoping I will be able to leave her out as the vet suggests.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:02 pm »
IME they nearly always lose all or a substantial proportion of their fleece if they abort, and/or are very poorly for a while.

If she had a day being poorly a while back, and the vet can find nothing else, then :fc: that was it and she will be ok.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »
I had a ewe  which had a bad lambing   and some weeks after lost all it wool exept for its head ,it looked more like a pig than a sheep, despite the cold march weather it lived out and has since grown a new fleece over the year.

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »
Thank you SallyintNorth and country soul for your encouraging replys. She continues to carry on as normal, l so I am assuming there is nothing ongoing that I need to worry about and she will grow new wool in time.   :fc:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:19:55 am by Whittsend »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS