Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cavolo Nero?  (Read 2876 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Cavolo Nero?
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:58:06 am »
I have grown a 3 square metre bed with Cavolo Nero - looks great, if a bit ravaged by slugs... BUT I find it very tough, even after steaming for 10 minutes, the stalks in particular are horrible.

Anyone come up with a good way (that doesn't involve hours of boiling) to cook it - or will it go to the goats?

(I also have "normal" kale, but was seduced by the enthusiastic adverts in the gardening catalogue... but maybe won't be growing it again)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Cavolo Nero?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:57:50 am »
The only year I grew it, it was frosted to death - supposed to be hardy.  I have been fed it but found it has a very strong taste.  I love our British kales and only eat the young tender new shoots and leaves, leaving the older ones to photosynthesise.  I would eat your normal kale and feed the cavolo nero to the goats  ;D :goat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »
Chop up, coat in olive oil and roast in the oven for crispy kale
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:21 pm »
Chop up, coat in olive oil and roast in the oven for crispy kale

Will try that.... thanks.

PS.: How's Amanda getting on?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:40 am »
She's fabulous and hopefully up the duff  :fc:  Keeping everything crossed that she doesn't come back into season this weekend.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »
She's fabulous and hopefully up the duff  :fc:  Keeping everything crossed that she doesn't come back into season this weekend.

Great and  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS