Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Confused about ear tags!  (Read 6715 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Confused about ear tags!
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »
I hope someone can help!

We bought a lamb this spring which we intended to fatten and send to slaughter.

However... we've now decided to keep her. She has 1 yellow ear tag from her holding of birth.

As we're now going to have her over 12 months old what do we do about the ear tag problem? I understand that 12 months+ they need 2 tags. What other tag do we need to add?

Do we need to change the existing tag to one with our holding number?

Have tried looking on DEFRA website and just got more confused!

Many thanks in advance.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Confused about ear tags!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:22:45 pm »
You will need to take out the single slaughter tag and replace with a pair of tags, one electronic, with your holding number and an individual number. You can order these online from various tag suppliers. You will then need to record the change of tags in your holding register.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »
Sorry FSM ... that is not correct .... only a lamb born on your farm can have your holding number ..... unless it loses both tags and you fit it with a pair of RED tags with your number on (one of which is electronic.   If it has a yellow tag then you have the option of ordering a second tag with numbers matching the first one of then needs to be electronic.

Just google replacement ear tags and you get this...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/191538/sheep-tag-rules101217.pdf
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 05:18:06 pm »
You are of course both wrong (just being a bit pedantic here) as no tag will have your holding # on it---the tag will have the flock # and the sheep's individual ID relating to it's holding of birth

A holding # pertains to a piece of land not to an animal  ::)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:59:59 pm »
 WHAT a farce trying to make sense of these rules , my understanding                                                                    your lamb is in England so is likely to have a non-eid slaughter tag ,    you want to UPGRADE it  to double tags .  The slaughter tag will only have  a flock number of  its birth  ,no individual number (   if it is  eid then you will need to read the individual number with a eid reader )   OK SO FAR .     You then  need to buy and put in  a  new double tag   with your flock number , RED in colour  (  because it is a bought in lamb ) .         NOW for the bad bit  ,  you have to record all this in your HOLDING REGISTER  , the rules state that you must record its full history , hopefully you bought it from the birth holding ,    so in record of replacement identification you fill in ( hope fully the same in England as Scotland )   date  of replacement /      new tag flock and individual number  /   previous tag number /  reason -upgrade    .  I hope this helps

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:37:59 pm »
WHAT a farce trying to make sense of these rules , my understanding                                                                    your lamb is in England so is likely to have a non-eid slaughter tag ,    you want to UPGRADE it  to double tags .  The slaughter tag will only have  a flock number of  its birth  ,no individual number (   if it is  eid then you will need to read the individual number with a eid reader )   OK SO FAR .     You then  need to buy and put in  a  new double tag   with your flock number , RED in colour  (  because it is a bought in lamb ) .         NOW for the bad bit  ,  you have to record all this in your HOLDING REGISTER  , the rules state that you must record its full history , hopefully you bought it from the birth holding ,    so in record of replacement identification you fill in ( hope fully the same in England as Scotland )   date  of replacement /      new tag flock and individual number  /   previous tag number /  reason -upgrade    .  I hope this helps
So when you put in the new red tags do you have to remove the single tag or can it be left in?  In my case it is a ewe that has lost one of her two tags.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 03:38:22 pm »
If it is a ewe that has lost one of her two tags, you can just order a replacement that is identical to the one that is left in, but EID if it needs to be, or visual if she has kept the EID one

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »

So when you put in the new red tags do you have to remove the single tag or can it be left in?  In my case it is a ewe that has lost one of her two tags.
    You have two choices , the one mentioned of an identical replacement , or cut out the old tag and replace with a new pair  , red if purchased sheep  , and record all in register

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
I'd say there is some confusion in all these posts, while you maybe able to put red tags in the sheep, technically if you know the UK number and the flock number you shouldn't use a red tag.  Apply for an EID and Visual tag with the same UK Number and flock number on the tag present.  When they arrive from your supplier remove the tag present and re-tag with the new, record the replacement tags in your record.  The only thing I'm not certain of is that the slaughter tag your sheep has is an EID tag you may not need to replace this?  You may only need to apply a visuall tag, your supplier will know whether this is the case.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »
Well  17  ...... if you weren't confused before you are now!

I go back to the link I added before ..... this is the definitive!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
The English gov web site is not definitive because it does not clearly state the way to upgrade a slaughter tag  to double tag , the Scottish  site gives more detail  .  You can not leave a slaughter tag in beyond 12months of age as no individual number is stamped on the tag  ( pairs have individual numbers stamped on both tags plus the eid )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS