Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vasaline on nipples  (Read 5661 times)

sandy

Vasaline on nipples
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:24:02 am »
Poor Isaly is getting a bit tender around her nipples due to all the pup's, I woundered about vasaline around them but will it harm the pups, I cannot seem to find too much on the internet searchs so I thought I would ask the experts....What do others put on thier Bitches nipples? (Now you can see what sort of things come up in a search!!!)

HappyHippy

Re: Vasaline on nipples
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:31 am »
LOL Sandy, I'm not even going to TRY googling that one  ;) ;D
Surely any cream designed for breast feeding mothers (of the human variety) would be ok to use ? Vaseline might make it too tricky for the puppies to latch on properly. But I'd wait and see what Annie says  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
Sorry if this sounds cruel but I don't do anything, except have some of the human cream handy for occasional use.  The bitch doesn't notice and to be honest it gets worse when they get their teeth.  Just don't look unless she cries with pain.  But then I've never seen it very bad on any of my bitches - not even the one that raised 11 pups with no help at all - didn't even need to bottle feed any of them. Just gave her supplements. She was a wee star!

What you DO need to watch out for is mastitis - and that is quite similar to the redness from a large litter.  Make sure her glands are soft and pliable, and not extremely hot to the touch or that she winces when you touch them.  If any of these phone the vet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:46:55 pm »
We clip the puppy's claws, I bought some baby scissors as they can squirm a bit, I wrap them in a towel when thye are half asleep...Oh and some have they eyes fairly open today and are trying to walk...we rang 2 das ago about the pen and they recon we should get it by Thursday, thats when they are 3 weeks old so JUST in time!!!! I also spoke with the vet and he said he likes too worm the pups at 2 week as they have enough going on in the first 2 weeks...the pups appear tough, fingers crossed!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »
God, I remember that feeling of sore nipples!  Thank God I will never ever have to breast feed again - I loathed it!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »
if you do decide Islay needs something, try a 'human' nipple cream, or a cattle one.  We do on the goat, especially during the very very brief but very hot spell we had when she seemed to have an enormous glowing udder!
What did the vet recommend?
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:37:29 am »
God, I remember that feeling of sore nipples!  Thank God I will never ever have to breast feed again - I loathed it!
LOL! I didn't quite loathe it, but definately not one of my favourite past times (think it might have been to do with all the sitting about, trying NOT to fall asleep !) and I DID think it was all behind me ::) needless to say I WAS WRONG ;)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:55:33 am »
lol I don't envy you!  I love babies, but I wouldn't want to go through the whole thing again.  I will definetly go gooey when you post photos of your new arrival when the time comes!

As far as Islay goes I would get human nipple cream if she seems very uncomfortable, but if she's not bothered then leave her to it.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:06:26 pm »
Well the vaseline seems to have worked, Steves rubbing it in as I write......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »
Have you checked that it won't do the pups any harm?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »
I read all sorts and it may harm them, although none have had the runs as far as I can see... we have only put a little on Islays skin on her back boobs!!! not on her nipples as such, they are fine, just her breasts look a bit red from the pups scratching, we will not put anymore on as I know the pups may get some, and it was my reason for posting as other searces come up with different things and it's hard to make sense of them...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 01:45:56 pm »
I wouldn't use it.  Is the chemist down the road not open? Mike would know

sandy

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »
I agree..I ment to ask my daughter, she is a cosmetic scientist but I chatted for ages and forgot to ask....better find some other use for the Vaseline then ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:59 am »
when we were teaching breastfeeding mums about cracked nipples we often recommended expressing a drop of milk and rubbing it back in to help moisturise the soreness. I had to resort to the same while feeding my children over the years (ouch bad memories comign back lol!)
with my 4th the midwife brought round some free samples of some brilliant cream - I'd check with vet or pet shop first though as not everything suitable for humans will be ok for animals I guess. it was Lanisoh and amazing stuff! you didn't have to wipe it off before feeds so was safe for newborns.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sandy

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 11:28:09 am »
Thanks,I remember those day's too, all that discomfort when the milk comes in, when they feed and when you stop feeding, although some babies are more gentle and do not hurt.  There are a 9 puppies now, was 11, and they suck everwhere and they also scratch each other out of the way, I cut thier nails but Islay still gets a bit red and moves away from her pups as soon as she can, although they don't look so red now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS