Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yak for sale Cheshire  (Read 15408 times)

Kaybrook

• Joined Jun 2014
Yak for sale Cheshire
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »
Yak heifer born July 2013 offered for sale. She is by our bull hence sale. Cross breeding with cattle breeds produces decent offspring with lean, low cholesterol meat. Possibly another adult for sale if a companion is required. IBR free herd, vaccinated BVD and Lepto. TB free herd.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Yak for sale Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »
I don't think I have ever seen a yak, do you have photos?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:56:41 pm »
ooh I've only seen Yaks in toddler's A-Z books under Y!!!  would love to see a photo!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »
Fascinated .... didn't know anyone bred Yak's in UK.   Meat or milk?   And quite surprised they will breed with cattle.

Tell me more about Yak keeping ..... what do they need in the way of feed housing and care?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:14 pm »
Not that I have the space to keep yaks, but I'd be fascinated to find out more about yak keeping too!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:22:00 pm »
Do you spin their fibre?  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:44:18 am »
Come along, Kaybrook, bring on the yaks!! ;D

Kaybrook

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:37:33 am »
I think we're the only breeding herd in the UK.... so far! Will add pictures later, I can't do it from my phone

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:51 am »
Were you in the Daily Mail  with your Yaks? A friend gave me the article. Googling Yaks I think South Devon may be too warm for them unless they could be shorn and kept cooler that way?

Kaybrook

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:09:38 am »
Yes we were, and also the farmers weekly. They pant like dogs to keep cool, and shed their wool to some extent in summer too. Our originals were from Southern Germany which must get pretty warm in summer too. They live outside all year round and eat silage/haylage and cattle nuts pretty much like beef cattle really but hardier. We have never spun the wool but if anyone is interested I'd love a yak hat!
Is there an easy way to post photos or do they have to come via photo bucket or similar?
Thank you

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:22:50 am »
Can't even take a photo let alone send one :( so can't help there! Weren't yurts once made from woven yak hair?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:32:28 am »
Yes we were, and also the farmers weekly. They pant like dogs to keep cool, and shed their wool to some extent in summer too. Our originals were from Southern Germany which must get pretty warm in summer too. They live outside all year round and eat silage/haylage and cattle nuts pretty much like beef cattle really but hardier. We have never spun the wool but if anyone is interested I'd love a yak hat!
Is there an easy way to post photos or do they have to come via photo bucket or similar?
Thank you

If you click 'reply' rather than 'quick reply', under the box where you type, there is an option to add an attachment.  You can add a photo that way, but there is a limit of 512KB per attachment up to a maximum of 1024KB/4 attachments.  If you want more or better resolution pics, then you need to use something like photobucket.  Bring on the yaks!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 08:51:09 am »
I'm sure I can find homes for the fibre :spin: :) 

It's incredibly fine short fibre, a challenge to spin.  Drop me a PM if you would like me to sell it for you.  There will be plenty of folks who'd like the opportunity to spin some UK yak!

Edited to say I hadn't spotted Fleecewife's prior query - so if FW wants it/some, I'm in the queue behind her!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:40:11 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »
Wow, fabulous looking animals  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS