Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fox problem  (Read 10428 times)

Carol Knights

• Joined Feb 2008
fox problem
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:41:14 am »
I have had a fox visiting my farm for some time ( hasn't everyone) it was ok while it was just passing through as the chickens are well fenced and the alpacas protected the sheep/lambs. But now the damn thing has moved in. It has started using the straw stack in the barn as it's sleeping area and when I disturbed it the other week it ran off and the Lab went berserk but worse happened, the dog picked up fox mite while sniffing around where the fox had been and that set off an allergic reaction - wet eczema. Lots of visits to the vet and much expense later the dog is better but I've got to stop this B... fox. I have ordered a 5' fox trap ( tread plate type)  but I have read that it's really difficult to catch the damn things.
Please, please has anyone has any tips that could help me catch it!!   :)
Carol Knights
alsafarm.com

HappyHippy

Re: fox problem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:53 am »
I'd personally shoot the bl**dy thing !  :o
Once you trap it you'll have to drive MILES to release it or it'll come right back to your barn. And wherever you release it will then have the problem of an extra fox to deal with - maybe someone who's chooks aren't as well protected ?
But to try and catch it I'd go for disguising the trap, maybe put some hay over it - leaving the entrance way clear and fill it with some raw meat to try and tempt it in.
Good luck  ;)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:51 am »
SHOOT IT!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »
And if you don't have a gun contact the nearest farmer who will be happy to help as he might be next on the visiting list of Mr Fox.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »
 Agree completely, high speed lead injection, no point trapping it and moving it on. have you anybody locally who could do it for you

Carol Knights

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »
I wasn't going to release it ( which is, in any case, illegal)- I hate foxes as much as the next farmer-  but my husband only has a 12 bore which would blow the trap to bits so I was going to take the fox and the trap to a local farmer who has the appropriate firearm to kill it. BUT first I have to catch the b**** thing!
So what sort of bait is irresistible to Charlie? I thought of collecting some road kill to 'seed' the area for a few days before I actually bait the trap  but would road kill be good enough for the trap or would some fishy tinned cat food be better?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:10:25 pm by Carol Knights »
Carol Knights
alsafarm.com

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 07:33:51 pm »
Dont waste your money on a trap,i'd sit and wait for it to show itself and shoot it with a heavy load 12 gauge shot.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »
**!!BANG!!** and the fox is gone  ;D  ;D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:23 pm »
You must have a local shoot syndicate or gamekeeper?  They will be more than willing to come and kill it for you.  Not sure if actually legal but our local keeper puts a wire down (attached to something very heavy) if he can see its track but you have to make sure nothing else domestic is going to get caught in it.  A dead rabbit will be enough to entice it.  Good luck!

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 06:01:11 pm »
lots of excellent advice.  Shooting is fine if you have a clear line of sight and a safe area behind the fox.  Traps work very well although sometimes you have to persist but this weather has them out all day foraging and a road kill rabbit or pheasant is a good draw.  A 12g shotgun, even at close range, will not destroy the trap unless you are using something like BB load.

My hound caught and lost one yesterday and caught and killed one today.

Carol Knights

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 07:04:21 pm »
Thank you everyone. I will keep trying. My husband, despite enticements, is unwilling to forsake his comfy chair or warm bed to sit in wait for the fox, although he seems pretty happy to go off for a day's pheasant shooting.  I am a rotten shot being right handed and left eye dominant. Perhaps I should be looking for a younger helper ;) The trap should arrive early next week so the campagne will start in earnest then.
I will get the B*****!
I'll let you know if I win. ;D
Carol Knights
alsafarm.com

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »
get some terriers in to bolt the bugger then bang!! ;D

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »
Since our recent fall of snow there is clear evidence that a fox is visiting every one of my pens and mews.  It has tried quite hard to break into my little black fantails and my hens are very nervous.   It had a look at my male Red-tailed hawk who hates dogs with a passion so a fox is grist to his mill.  You could see where the fox took of in some haste when the old-tail jumped at him in full threat mode.

For the past few nights I have established a feeding station putting out a handful of dead day old chicks.  My trap is out on loan at present but when I get it back foxy(s) should be waiting in line............Bang!  What a pity there is no market for skins.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »
i have a lurcher who would love to tackle your fox! shame you are so far away! gemx
GEM. X

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »
Since my last post (9th Jan) on the subject of foxes things have been happening!

I set my trap on the evening of the 10th and on 11th there was a vixen.  She was dispatched by a friend with a licenced firearm
Night of 11th reset trap.  Morning of 12th  Another fox - dog this time.  Bang!  13th no fox.
14th  Another vixen. Bang! 

No wonder my poultry and pigeons are jumpy.   The damn things are lining up.  The snow is going fast now so maybe they will find food elsewhere but just in case I  will keep the trap going.  Bait -- Having had a couple of days ferreting I am using rabbit guts.   The dog fox was calm enough to have eaten the bait - I calmed him even further!

Does anyone have a recipe for tanning rabbits skins and- or a tannery which will accept them  I used to have my Rex rabbit skins professionally tanned but that was a long time ago and I have no idea where.  So far this winter I have taken 200 plus rabbits and binned all the skins which seems a terrible waste.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS