Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anti-geese pond plants!  (Read 2578 times)

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Anti-geese pond plants!
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:05:28 pm »
Hello,

I have a beautiful pair of Toulouse dewlap geese who are really lovely characters and a great addition to the small holding. Unfortunately they have completely cleared my pond for me. I would like to re introduce, in the spring, some kind of pond plants and try and protect them from the geese. It is a big pond and they are free range over 3 acres.

Any ideas?

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Anti-geese pond plants!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »
Hi,
I think you would need to fence off an area and replant it, and then keep it fenced off, geese love to browse, usually on stuff you don't want them to.
I have dewlap Toulouse, and as you say they have lovely characters, much more laid back than most other breeds of geese.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for your reply. That's a good idea. I had been thinking of ways to secure the individual plants but you're right it makes more sense to fence a section.

Little buggers! Have you ever found anything they don't enjoy?

Becca

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 04:27:40 pm »
I don't know about geese, but on my walk around the village gardens event this year I was talking with a lady about water lilies and ducks, she suggested that I try a red leaved variety which she has as the ducks don't seem to like them - she had previously spent hundreds of pounds on water lilies! I have to say - I haven't found one yet but if you do it might be worth a try.  :thumbsup:
Heather

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 11:19:57 am »
Thanks Heather. Will see if I can locate a red one anywhere. Worth a try!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS