Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moulting arucana  (Read 2468 times)

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
moulting arucana
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:01 am »
my only arucana, Dennis has been moulting for ages and has now taken to staying in the coop.  She doesn't seem to be gaining any weight and has really gone down hill.  First out yesterday but last this morning.   I am worming this week.  Any ideas folks, thanks 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: moulting arucana
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:36:58 am »
Our legbar was really off colour through her first moult this year. She was also being bullied by the others because of it., lost lots of weight and become depressed.

TAS members advised leaving where she was and supplementing her feed with sunflower seeds and mealworms. She got these morning and afternoon away from the others so could eat without worry and extra water and food stations put out for daytime to give her a better change of getting to them without the bullying. I also used  'life-guard' (a vitamin boost)in the water to help. She started moulting much quicker and grew feathers and condition.  Now she looks great but the others are going through their moult so we are doing it all again  ::)

HTH

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »
Several of mine have moulted much later and/or longer than usual this year.  TLC a good idea, Araucanas being a light fowl can't really afford to lose much weight.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:43:49 pm »
Several of mine have moulted much later and/or longer than usual this year.  TLC a good idea, Araucanas being a light fowl can't really afford to lose much weight.

I've had long/late moults also. One older leghorn hen has come in with loads more white feathers than she had before..? Meal worms are great for tempting and supplementing imo. I always buy them if I see them on offer.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:40:26 am »
Thanks for replies.  Noticed this morning she has a lump on one of her toes so I suspect bumblefoot.  Now wondering whether this is making her miserable or just the moult.  She's been out this morning for a quick nibble and then sneaked back into the coop so I've taken her out and placed her somewhere warmer with some poultry tonic and warm mash for now before getting some mealworms.  Problem is - do I deal with the bumblefoot in the state she is or leave it until she feels a bit better?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »
If she were mine id treat her now. As you say, could be the infection causing her sad symptoms (just happens she's also in moult.)  so you could pamper her for a few days, but probably better to deal with foot, ASAP as if she doesn't improve you've lost time in the battle.
I would give it good clean. Then soak in warm saline, about 40'C, see if this opens the abcess to get pus out. Soak/wipe/pick scabs off. Ive used syringe with saline for flushing out pus, if you have one handy those capsules for rinsing eyes are so easy to use, and you can refil from cup of boiled sailine to keep flushing. Purple spray. Repeat couple times a day.  I would also cover -with plaster. She may limp more after treatment. Should be lot less pus within a day. If bird not improved within tops 48hrs I would be after vet for antibiotics. This is just my opinion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS