Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tips for Land Rover newbies  (Read 16937 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Tips for Land Rover newbies
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »
If it has a 200tdi engine fitted then you have the best engine LR ever made for the Fender in my book. No nasty electronics, very reliable and simple to fix if anything does go wrong. Just keep on top of your oil changes and it should last a very long time.

:excited:
Must have been beginners luck!  ;D
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »
If it has a 200tdi engine fitted then you have the best engine LR ever made for the Fender in my book. No nasty electronics, very reliable and simple to fix if anything does go wrong. Just keep on top of your oil changes and it should last a very long time.

Yes I would second that

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »
 How's it going after a few weeks of ownership ?  Hooked ?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
OH thinks it's great fun driving 'the beast'  :thumbsup:
I'm still a bit in awe of the temperamental gearbox (never been very confident with gearboxes to start with) but I'm sure I'll get there. Farmer neighbours are all suitably impressed  ;D
Not sure we will turn into mechanics though - I got some new lock barrels to replace on the non-lockable doors, and keep looking at the instructions online and in the manual but can't bring myself to attempt starting to take the door apart - too scared I will not be able to put it back together again...  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »
Re the doors, don't worry - it's pretty easy.

The fiddly bits are getting the cover off from around the locking knob in the top corner. You may break the retaining clip for it if you're not careful, though it will still function without. Likewise, count on breaking at least half of the trim clips - just replace them. It's worth buying the proper trim removal tool though, as it does make the job easier.

Then, before you take the window handle off, note its position with the window fully up, so you can put it back at angle angle that won't attack your calves.

The lock barrel replacement is pretty straightforward. Whilst you're in there, it's worth checking for rusty bits around the bottom of the doors and painting / treating them, and also greasing up the window winder mechanism for good measure.

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, Womble!
 :thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
Oh, one thing I should have said before now, especially in wet weather, you're best to leave it parked in gear but with the handbrake off as they have a habit of sticking otherwise.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »
Harumph just did a long (and, even if I say so myself, amusing) post about picking up our Landy  but it got swallowed by the cyber monsters  :rant:
Anyhoo thought I'd post a piccy anyway  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS