Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bees v's MRSA super bug  (Read 23408 times)

rustyme

Bees v's MRSA super bug
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:00:41 pm »
Thought that there would bee some interest in this . The link opens a page of different video clips all about bees. The top clip is the one about MRSA.  There is loads of information about bees and medicine (Apitherapy) , interesting even if you don't keep bees:

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/search/label/Apitherapy%20and%20Beekeeping

cheers

Russ

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Bees v's MRSA super bug
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:54:33 pm »
Very interesting thanks Russ - we have started looking in to bee keeping but it seems that bees are quite expensive to get off the ground.
Still, definitely a project for the future.

Nicki

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:20:41 pm »
Hello Nicki,
              yes , as you say it can be very expensive starting out, getting hives and such ....but .. I got my first one given to me complete with bees . That was for letting the chap keep his bees on my land for a couple of years , he also gave me loads of honey ...mmmmm.  Since then I got six hives off of freecycle, plus loads of other stuff. So it can be done on the cheap , you just have to keep your eye out and be lucky.  As far as costs are concerned though , you should be able to get your money back within a very short time as honey sells for 2.50-3.00 pounds a one pound jar, plus you can eat it yourself and use it instead of unhealthy refined sugar in cooking etc.

cheers

Russ

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »
Hi Russ

Thanks for your reply - sorry I have not been on line for a while - out all hours in the garden fighting a losing battle against the weeds in the veggie patch.

Definitely going to find out more on the bees as we live in france we have found a site for bees in our area and hope to find out more.

Have a good weekend

Nicki

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »
Hi there, it's good to see there are other beekeepers out there.  Let's hope it's a better year than last year.  We had our first swarm on Friday, the good new was that I had taken the day off work, the bad news was that I had washed my bee suit!!!!  Luckily the bees swarmed on a low hawthorn bush and not the 180 year old beeches near by.  I don't know what my bees are on just now - they certainly aren't in the garden.  Must be the beech or sycamore.

I managed to start out buying old second hand stuff from the local beekeeping society - this might also be a way to get things cheap.  The local societies also help out with bees and sometimes give a bit space on a local apiary.

Carol

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:57 pm »
at the moment I class myself as someone who has bees ....not a beekeeper!!! lol. I went with my nephew ,to collect the last of the 6 hives I got off freecycle the other day . Along with them came a beesuit and a jacket and veil, as well as another smoker a hive tool and all sorts of odds and sods.  I was very lucky to get all that off freecycle, the people were really nice but didn't want to keep bees anymore as the lady had been stung badly and lost a bit of nerve and the chap has really very bad arthritus , such a shame , they may even have to sell their home as the lady can't cope with all the work . The terrible thing is the chap is only 2 years older than me and is waiting for hip replacements. I hope that this year is better for honey ( got none last year ) so I can give them some , the stuff they have given me has saved me a fortune. I am slowly going through the frames recovering the wax at the moment . I have only done a few and already have nearly 2lb. I have been melting the very dark (dirty ) stuff so far, the clean stuff I will save till later. I am going to make a solar wax melter to do the job.  Some of the hive bodies need a lot of work on them , but all should be able to be saved ok , fingers crossed. 
       Good luck to anyone with bees this year .....lets hope for a good year....

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:13 am »
this is proberably a silly question but ill ask it anyway!

do you have to get a new 'swarm' of bees each year or do they have babies and stay at your hive??

??? :bee:

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:05 pm »
not silly at all Steve ,
                          you get your bees and then they stay with you for a long time , if properly looked after !!!. In the winter they form a tight clump within the hive and live off of stored honey . So, when spring comes around they stir and start searching for early food . During the year the workers have a very short life , but the Queen can last for years . During the season they can swarm , starting a new colony . The old one then rebuilds and gets strong again with a new Queen . They will do all this on their own , but it is the job of the beekeeper to manage the hive , feed when needed, split to prevent swarming and creat new colonies, and to take honey  (if there is enough ?) and generally keep things tidy. This he/she does so they can have honey , wax, pollen etc , for their own use. 

cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS