Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is the best electric fencing net or tape?  (Read 3140 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
what is the best electric fencing net or tape?
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:48:45 pm »
 :pig:   im sorry to be a pain with so many questions   :dunce:  but i have just been looking at electric fencing on line and im confused
which is best? tape or netting,what size tape.will horse tape be powerful enough?.my feed local store  has tape kits with energiser ect i can get tomorrow but if not good enough will buy online but it is more a pet food /livery store rather than an agricultural store.there arnt any around here now.nearest one is at least 40mins away.
thank you for your help on my posts the web sites on a lot of stuff are contradicting each other,no good solid advice just a lot of sales pitch.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: what is the best electric fencing net or tape?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:19:50 am »
Whilst electric netting is probably great, I think at least over here, the high cost would make it prohibitive for pigs.  Most of ours are kept in by 2 strands of blue tape.  The weaners have a sheep fencing boundary with electric fencing on the inside.  Most of our pigs are kept in by this.  We of course have the one exception but she wrote the book on keeping pigs so knows all the rules and how best to break them.

Sometimes its a case of what works really well for me will be the opposite for someone else.  Its a bit of trial and error depending on your land, size, pigs attitudes etc.

Still its all good fun.  Welcome to the world of the pig owner. 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »

I use 2 or 3 strands of the orange and yellow wire it is reasonably cheap and seems to work ok, I did find that it was better to run it off the mains as batteries have a horrible habit of going flat very quickly especially in cold weather. If you do use a battery put in a really deep earth pole as the one on the bottom of the energizer is never long enough, someone also told me to put more earth poles in as it really helps keep the power up.
Anne

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »
Hi,

Dont go for netting - use poly wire or tape.

Important thing is to make sure you can stretch it tight - so try to go for wooden posts at the corners and support the straight runs with plastic posts.

Our saddlebacks and British Lops are quite happily contained with 2 strands - one at about 4- 6  inches above the ground and second at about 16 inches.

Unless they are used to electric be prepared for them to push through a few times before they get used to it - pig boards at the ready !

Also agree - try to go for a mains energiser if you can - if not keep the battery well charged.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
Yup we use two strands of mains powered electric fence for our Tamworths. Keeps them in with no difficulty.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »
Have a look at the Rutland fencing site - it has good guides for different types of animals.

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:05:01 am »
You'll find netting quite pricey. I know others on this site use tape or cord, but we find galvanised wire gives a much firmer 'zap' and teaches the pigs to respect the fence much quicker. And on't use tape if you're in a windy spot!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS