Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something to smile about at last!!  (Read 3519 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Something to smile about at last!!
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:19:07 pm »
Another of my goats kidded last night - no sign of kidding at 3.30pm, but when I went to feed the goats at 6.30pm she had kidded.  Unfortunately, she had kidded right behind the door, and for whatever reason,  one was dead.  Anyway, we do have a live billy kid.  He appears to be a light brown colour with a white head, and floppy ears like an Anglo Nubian, which must be in the nannys line somewhere!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Something to smile about at last!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:01 pm »
Ooooh he's ever so pretty coloured. What will his destiny be? Castrated? Left entire? His ears might not be all that floppy, sometimes they perk up a bit in the couple of days after birth.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:31 pm »
If you look at Mums ears, they are not upright so little ones ears will probably be half mast too!  He will be castrated, we have two entire billies already I am looking forward to having some goats milk again!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
He's so cute!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »
How gorgeous, shame about the one that never made it. :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:08 pm »
He's gorgeous!  So glad he's doing well, you deserve some good luck now.  Are you going to keep him do you think?  And name him?!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:18:21 pm »
I have got a queue of people wanting goat kids, Little Blue, so not going to get too fond of the little fella.  No name as yet, making sure he survives first.

He was climbing all over his mums hay tonight, and then tried to get out of the pen.  Put plenty of bedding down tonight again, as its snowing and so cold.  Hopefully Molly will snuggle up to him and keep him warm.

I would not have goats born at this time of year by choice, April May time are soon enough for round here.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »
No, can imagine its a little chilly round your neck of the woods!!
Maybe they need the llama draught excluder you wrote about... maybe if he was sheared (shorn?) you could corner the market in goat blankets...
Little Blue

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 10:37:57 pm »
Thats great news Roxy. You'll need heart armour to stop you getting fond of this cutie
kirsty

sandy

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:25:24 pm »
Great special delivery for 2009.......amazing how quick they grow....nature....so powerful sometimes so seamingly cruel....but life goes on....heres to Billy the Kid!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »
The little fella is a livewire - just 48 hours old and causing mischief already.  He is quick on his feet, and makes for the pen gate when I go in to feed the nanny.  This afternoon I checked them all, and left hay.  Was preparing the tea in the kitchen before leaving to feed the other livestock, and the barn is just below the kitchen.   I couild hear the mother goat bleating, and also Charlie, her kid from last year.  I went out the door and peered through the barn window ......goats still bleating, but I could not see why.  Back to the kitchen, but the bleating went on.....I walked round to the barn to have a proper look, and glad  I did.  The goat kid had somehow squeezed out of the pen, and was making his way over the barn.  Charlie had seen him, and must have realised he was not supposed to be out, and was shouting for me to come and help him!!  I thought I had covered all the possible places he could squeeze through, but must have missed one.  Have now blocked it off with a piece of wood.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:02:02 pm »
I keep saying this but boy isn't nature just a wonder? Good job you listened.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:13 pm »
little divil as they say round here!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS