Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Beds  (Read 3757 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Pig Beds
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
Just a quickie....... how much room does a pig need to sleep in,and can that size just be doubled for two? Pallet on the ground or just extra straw on top of the concrete?  It's in the barn,against the north wall,(only having some during the summer so thought it might be cooler there,draught-free too) and it's 3 sided.... that ok or do I need to restrict the entrance?  Ta muchly peeps!   Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Pig Beds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:08 pm »
Concrete is unfortunately always cold and so whilst its still very wet and cold at the moment, you'll need plenty of straw on the floor.  Also, how high is the roof?  They'll lose a lot of body heat if the roof is high and so if you're able to make a temporary 'ceiling', that will help contain the warmth.   As for numbers, they usually like to snuggle up together and so as long as they have room to turn around, they'll be happy to snuggle. ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:27:46 pm »
The bedding area is 6ft x 4ft and 4ft high. I've put a roof of chicken wire across,loaded it up with hay and then a tarp on top of that,that then comes down to floor on one side and secured at the bottom. Bit difficult to describe it,might have to take a pic tomorrow. I'll scout around for a pallet to fit in there and cover over with some boarding so their feet don't go down in the gaps. Right,shower time,I'm thinking too much!!
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:33 am »
Sounds very cosy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS