Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My skins went off this morning  (Read 1799 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
My skins went off this morning
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:18:37 pm »
They have been salted for 3 weeks and then packed and posted off today. I found that myhermes was quite cheap to send them. I had 3 lamb skins and it cost me £7.48 and they picked up from my home address.  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: My skins went off this morning
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
That is a very good price!!!  Cost me over 3 times that with Royal mail!!  Well done!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:02:38 pm »
how come my animal health vet reckons the courier needs to be licensed for transporting animal by-products
its put a spanner in the works for me.

also can I ask whether you have running water where you salt the skins? or anything else specific to bring the skins home temporarily?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »
My courier has a list of prohibited items, firearms, chemicals etc. among them was animal remains. I don't consider the skins as remains so just said they were sheepskin rugs to be on the safe side. I packaged them very well in several layers of plastic bags and a strong box, also covered in plastic, so can't see that there would be any issues.

I salted the skins in the stable, which only stores old gardening equipment and bits and pieces. There is no running water directly in the stable but there is a tap not far away. Why would I need running water?

OH collected the skins from the abattoir and he took a big plastic box with a lid to put them in.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS