Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: trailer hitch - is there a part for this?  (Read 6487 times)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
trailer hitch - is there a part for this?
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:56:17 am »
Hi all.  Do you know if it's possible to get a connector/adaptor to link a tow ball to a pin hitch?  I'm not sure I'm using the right names for things which is why web searching isn't working that well.  I have a little tipping trailer with a pin hitch that I'd like to pull with my quad bike.  The quad bike has a tow ball that in theory could be unbolted leaving an eyehole for the pin hitch, but the tow ball is pretty frozen in place and is what we are using most of the time anyway, so it would be easier to leave it there and use an adaptor to hitch the tipping trailer to it, if such a part exists, and if someone can tell me the right name for it.  Advice appreciated, thanks!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: trailer hitch - is there a part for this?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:17:10 am »
I've never seen an adaptor for that, but there are plenty of dual ball / pin hitches available. This is a light duty one designed for quad bikes etc:

That would involve un-freezing your old one of course. I had the same problem and managed to unfreeze it using a long breaker bar. Either that or you could cut the bolts with an angle grinder. You'd probably ruin the old towball that way, but if you're replacing it with one like the one above, does that really matter?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:09:32 am »
Thanks Womble!  I think I can probably get the old one unfroze, if I keep soaking it in WD40 and apply leverage.  Just wishing the tipping trailer could have the right connector so I wouldn't have to take it on and off all the time :P
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:10:20 am »
yes, "ball hitch adaptor" ... but I bet you'll struggle to find one.  I was looking for one a while back, and could only find ones in the states.  Mower firms might have something suitable, but the combo ball looks your best bet, or the WD40 :).

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »
WD40 isn't a penetrating oil - it's a water dispersant. Get a can of PlusGas or similar...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:13 pm »
Thanks Foobar, using your suggested "ball hitch adaptor" I did find some on ebay and amazon.uk!  Ordered one of the cheap pressed steel ones (£13) since the trailer is light and we'll only be using it to move small loads of gravel, firewood etc.

And thanks spandit for the tip about PlusGas :thumbsup:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:39:49 pm »
I was wondering about the same, thanks for asking the question Thyme.
Would you mind posting a link to the adaptor you ordered - I don't seem to be able to find the right thing by searching the term (only expensive USA parts come up).
Thank you!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »
you might manage to bodge it with that but that's actually a replacement hitch for a trailer not an adapter...

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »
Looks to me like it'll do the job though.  The trailer has a pin that's meant to go through an eyehole.  The quad has a ball.  If I'm wrong, well, it's £13.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be road legal, but if you're only using it on your holding, I'm sure you could make it fit one way or another. Good luck!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
Yeah it's really a small trailer, not something one would ever take on the road.  The kind of thing you can pull behind a riding mower.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 07:15:12 pm »
The hitch you have bought is not an adaptor, but is designed to be bolted to a trailer drawbar to give a ball connection .   It should be fine , you might just have to drill holes in your trailer draw bar to suit...may be one hole if you can utilise the existing drawbar pin hole.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
The hitch you have bought is not an adaptor, but is designed to be bolted to a trailer drawbar to give a ball connection .   It should be fine , you might just have to drill holes in your trailer draw bar to suit...may be one hole if you can utilise the existing drawbar pin hole.

Huh, "adaptor" is the word I would use for that.  Separated by a common language?  Anyway, thanks for the comments :)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »
I guess it is just a language thing but bloomer agrees with me...it is a permanent replacement hitch of an alternative design.

A bit like I wouldn't describe the hitch as being frozen, but being seized. 

But I'm not loosing sleep over it...hope you get it to fit.
Cheers. Stu

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS