Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many sheep per acre?  (Read 7479 times)

Steph

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Westray, Orkney (Scotland)
How many sheep per acre?
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:56 am »
Hey, Im a 16 year old girl living up in the Orkney Islands (Off the north coast of Scotland) We have a farm with cows but Im quite into working with sheep. We have 2 acre's of spare land and I was wondering how many sheep Id be able to put on the 2 acre plot? Any advice would be brill! Thanks - Steph   :D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: How many sheep per acre?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:12 pm »
i would say about 4 sheep per acre, depending on the breed of sheep,  what the vegitation of the ground is like, how steep, wet etc the ground is and if you intend to breed and have lambs.
 I'm sure someone else could give you much better information as i've had limited experience with sheep,
 I've bottle reared two texel tups, and helped with lambing but thats where my experience stops. 

Steph

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:02 pm »
right yep, I was thinking about strip feeding to try and make the grass last longer but as it stands i realy dont know. I think theres an extra 3 acres back home here so, im not too sure. We had sheep before but they were more pets than a source of income. I dunno! Thank you for replying, sure is a help. :D Steph

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »
CameronS is spot on! Really does depend on type and what you are doing with them! Strip grazing can be problematic as sheep do not respect electric lines the way cattle do so if divided up into several paddocks and the odd bit of barn for housing about 8 breeding ewes for 2 acres plus would be the max you could get away with if you do not want management and overstocking problems!

What breed or type were you thinking of?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Steph

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »
Ah right yeah, verry true. ummm, I want Jacobs but it just depends I think.  Thanks - Steph :D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
If you go for Jacobs, you could possibly up the number of sheep per acre by 1 or two, as they are smaller. But like thewoollyshepherd  says, sheep of all ages and sizes have no regard for electirc fencing.

Steph

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
How many lambs do Jacobs usualy produce? one or two? Jacobs are prettier than other breeds of sheep I think. Steph :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS