Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worrying local info  (Read 1936 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Worrying local info
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:10 am »
Today a neighbour stopped by while out on a walk. He lives two fields away from us. He said that he used to keep hens, he had about 100 bu had to cull them because the flock got TB. They are not allowed to keep chickens again for 5 years. Apparently the deer bring TB in. Does anyone else know anything about this  and how would you know if your hens got TB?
kirsty

HappyHippy

Re: Worrying local info
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:37 am »
Hi Kirsty,
I always thought it was badgers which were responsible for bringing it in - maybe it's different from area to area.
As for knowing if your hens had caught it - this is what I found -
No clinical signs specifically identify avian tuberculosis in chickens.  Infected birds are often emaciated, weak, and lethargic, and they exhibit wasting of the muscles. These signs are similar to those of lead poisoning and other debilitating conditions. Other signs depend on which body system is affected and signs may include diarrhea, lameness, and unthrifty appearance.
Advanced disease and clinical signs are seen most often in adults because of the chronic, insidious nature of the disease.

Maybe other more experienced chicken keepers will have more advice - hope this helps a bit.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: Worrying local info
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
Thank you HH I'll do a bit of web research and also find out if the eggs carry the disease. My friends son had tb last year and it was awful. He is better now but spent a few weeks in hospital with a lung drain first.
TB seems to be returning to the uk - and not just among the most vulnerable people
I'll post what i find out in case it is of general use.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS