Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brittany pups videos  (Read 7016 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

Re: Brittany pups videos
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:14 am »
Wow Annie, you've definately got your hands full there !
But it's amazing how quick they've learned to respond to the whistle ;D
Gorgeous puppies ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:51 am »
The wee one on the stool was so cute. I hope Sandy's watched these - this is 5 - she'll have double trouble.

Great to see how responsive they are to their early lessons. Bet they don't even know they're being trained!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:46:00 pm »
How lovely. They are so gorgeous
Do you use a particular kind of whistle?
Sheba seems selectively deaf to whistles, unless I take a deep breath and make the pitch go up and down (like an air raid siren). I've got a shepherds whistle but havent got the knack yet!  Could do with some suggestions....
Little Blue

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »
They are gorgeous  :)

Lovely to see them so responsive to your training. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »

Do you use a particular kind of whistle?
Sheba seems selectively deaf to whistles, unless I take a deep breath and make the pitch go up and down (like an air raid siren). I've got a shepherds whistle but haven't got the knack yet!  Could do with some suggestions....

They will only respond to a whistle if they have been trained the basic voice commands first, or as in the case of puppies, the recall whistle is given every time the food bowl is put down.  After four times a day for 5 weeks they know it means food.  I use a 210 gundog whistle with a pea in it.  But it doesn't really matter what whistle you use, so long as the dog knows the commands.  I train 5 pips for the recall, 2 pips to turn
(whatever direction you are going in turn 180 degrees and go the other way)
and a single pip for sit, with a longer version of that for a forceful
'sit right where you are and don't move till I get there'
If you want to train Sheba to the whistle she must first know your voice commands.  Start off in your own garden.  Each time you give her a command to do something e.g. sit, blow the whistle command for sit at the same time. Then just use the whistle.  When she is 100% at that then you can retrain outside.  Then you can train the other commands.  Dogs relate commands to specific places.  if you train a dog to jump a cane in the garden using the command 'over'  you can't take it to a field gate, say 'over' and expect it to jump.  Some dogs will, but most won''t have a clue what you are talking about.  It is a sad fact that a lot of people seem to think puppies come out of their mother's womb pre-trained.  Not so, I'm afraid, it takes time, energy, patience, consistency and a whole lotta love.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »
Thankyou.
As you may remember, Sheba has some 'difficulties' but she sits well, unless very distracted (like outside!) and has fairly good recall in the house.
 She has obviously had some training to sit, especially for food, but there is no way she's safe off the lead. 
(and is the most affectionate dog I've ever known!)
She seems like a bright dog, just daft sometimes...  and has had a Clicker for Christmas!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
She will only be safe off the lead outside if you reinforce the basic commands in the house, then in the garden, then in an enclosed place with no distractions, then in an enclosed place with distractions, then in an open space with no distractions etc They are place oriented. A  lesson learned in one place must be relearned in a different place.  No-one explained that to me until I started training Allez - my 15th Brittany!  I never needed to know before as I had 21 acres.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:23:23 pm »
not to be defeatist... but we dont think she'll ever be safe off lead.  Because of her background, and daft nature, you just dont know what might set her off or scare her.
 She has slipped the lead twice (once, her collar snapped, the second I fell, and it slipped off my wrist just as a cyclist went by!) but she didnt get the chance to go too far, or chase anything (the cyclist very sensibly stayed very still when he saw her big teeth)
I wouldnt want her any other way BUT it must be great to train from a pup and teach everything new... !!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:12 pm »
Don't ever believe the old adage about not teaching an old dog new tricks.  One of my pups is going to a chap who works voluntarily for a 'last chance' charity.  The dogs he re-trains have already been deemed dangerous.  He can turn them around and have them re-homed.  It is easier to train from a pup but even an old dog like my Hester (12 and a half) can be turned around.  With Gregg's help I now have her and my little Brittany tearaway in the garden together - no growling, no anxst, no biting.  Have faith, it can be done, you are doing well so far.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »
Some more vids of my babies - all away to their new homes now leaving my own little Black Bob here to annoy his mother, uncle, and great aunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saLIMmbsHB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAXfYaBnhnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoN6NQeM0k

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:43 pm »
What great videos. Are Brittany's known for maturing quickly? the later videos they look so grown up- just like smaller adults not very puppy like at all.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »
Well, my lines tend to look like little Brittanys when they are born and just grow in proportion to maturity but not others.  Not many are line bred whereas mine are.  Mine can sure bawl though! ;D   Little lad is at it right now - must go and tend to him!

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »
just looked at the you tube clips the puppies are so cute........
Lavinia

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS