Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand rearing my first lamb  (Read 15240 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Hand rearing my first lamb
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:04:44 pm »
I was talking to a local farmer (older lady) at the market today. She was telling me about one of her sheep that had triplets and she had to take one off as "her bag was too large" and she could not let her go out as she would "get into trouble". Yes you are right - I have the lamb in my kitchen complete with milk and bottles! I will put Dotty into one of the out buildings after her last feed tonight. I am feeding 300mls 4 time a day - although she would not take the full amount when we got her home. She has apparently had alot of colostrum from her mother. I have read other posts about water and hay but does she need any vaccinations and if so what and when. I intend to keep her and perhaps let her breed next year but at the moment she is just a pet. :) :sheep:
Karen

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: Hand rearing my first lamb - now not feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:43:36 am »
I need some advice as this lamb does not appear to be interested in feeding. It had about 200 mls last night. It had about 150mls at 0530 this morning and I have had to force 100mls at 1130.
Karen

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Hand rearing my first lamb
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58:07 pm »
I have pmd you!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14:29 am »
Thanks Woolleyshepherd for your advice last night. Dotty was cold so I took my chicks out from under the heat lamp - they don't really need it now and put them in the kitchen. Dotty spent the night under the lamp in the utility room! I got up to feed her at 2am and she is feeding much better today. I have her in the kitchen and she comes and tells me when she wants some milk. I am going to fix the lamp up in one of my out buildings as I can't cope with what comes out of the other end forever ;D Although I might give her another night in if I think I will have to feed her in the night ::) :sheep:
Karen

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »
How is the lamb doing now, I am always interested in peoples experiences, thankfully have never had to rear a lamb- but piglets a different story.

Please post

Carole

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »
Dotty is doing fine now following some good advice from the woolleyshepherd. I have here on a strict diet as I was too soft with her and kept feeding her. I did not want an obese lamb :o
Karen

Help

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
Hi Wonder if anyone can help I have a 5 day lamb coming to stay tomorrow and really want to do it right. She has been fed on Col for the first 4 days and is now on calf's powdered milk. I have a dog bed for her with heated blanket and was going to keep her in the kitchen. Really nervous now! How often should I aim to feed her and I know this is a mad question but is it OK to cuddle her I would really like her to be a pet, but don't know anything. Going to take her to the vets first thing. I have a list of things from the original owner. Can anyone help

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »
Wow, heated blanket - this is going to be one spoiled lamb, although at 5 days, it probably won't be essential if you have a kitchen temperature above 3 o4 degrees C.  They are not used to central heating like us.  I would feed four times during the day until around 4 weeks old.  Yes of course its OK to cuddle it - I always cuddle my hand fed lambs and I know at least four farmer's wives (and sometimes the farmers too) who do the same thing -until they are too big, of course.  Good luck and have fun.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »
If lamb had no proper colostrum get it vaccinated with Heptavac or Lambivac as soon as possible, I think its at about 4 weeks when you can do it. Ask the vet, and also if any farmers nearby are doing it. Otherwise quite expensive as minimum dose you can buy is 25 lambs dose...  and you need two shots 4 weeks apart. If you can get a second lamb from the same holding they would be a lot happier with a friend! (From the same holding so that they both come from the same background re bugs, prior vaccination etc)

You will also need a CPH and flock number....

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
You mean you are going to keep this solitary lamb in your house as a pet? its a farm/herd animal it needs others for company and should live like sheep live ::)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS