Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting turkeys  (Read 1916 times)

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
Transporting turkeys
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:39 pm »
Hello there.  I have about 14 turkeys I need to transport (about a 1hr drive) next month.  I have transported small numbers of turkeys before by putting them in a couple of dog crates in the back of a vehicle but 14 won't fit this way!  I have a small/mid sized sheep trailer - could I put them loose in this with lots of straw on the floor?

Anyone else transported similar number of turkeys, geese etc before?  How did you do it?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Transporting turkeys
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »
Yep, do fine like that, I've moved them like this in the back of vans and horse boxes before no problem.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:16:18 pm »
Should be no problem give them some greens

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »
I transport mine in an 8' x 5' Ifor WIlliams - put the internal vertical divider in with a puppy cage panel tied in to fill the gap at the top.  I load them overnight, with feed and water available, so they have a chance to calm down and familiarise themselves with the trailer.  Ours has a stable-door type personnel side door which someone holds closed while the catcher is getting a secure grip. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS