Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unmated ewe lambs  (Read 1837 times)

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
Unmated ewe lambs
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »
Hi,
We have a small flock of Wiltshire Horns. The ewes are currently with our new ram and our ewe lambs are separated. I am hoping to run the entire flock together for most of the year but i'm not sure when it would be 'safe' to put the lambs back in i.e. How many oestrus cycles will they have if left unmated?

They are currently 7 months old and I definitely don't want him covering them as he is a big lad! :-*

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Unmated ewe lambs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »
I can't offer any advice -sorry, as I was about to ask exactly the same question. Thank you for beating me to it!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
My understanding is that certain breeds (including hair sheep e.g. wilts horn) are less seasonal and therefore have the potential to breed all year round. We have wilts horn too and the only time our females are in the same field as the ram is to get pregnant. I'm sure I'll get corrected if wrong.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:39:21 pm »
The ewe lambs will be safe to go in with the ewes when you take the ram out  ;)  Do you have a wether that could live with the ram so he's not on his own?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
I do have a wether lamb, who is currently living with a ram lamb that we kept on. I wonder if the three would get on Ok if they dont have ewes to fight over. The ram lamb is intended for showing then sale (or meat if he's not good enough)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
I'd be inclined to keep the ram on his own for a bit when you first take him out - he may need to calm down a bit before being put in with other males.

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
Thanks, i will do that but he still has a bit of work to do!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS