Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We're snowed in !  (Read 7730 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: We're snowed in !
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »
But if you do that, then the melt will turn to a sheet of ice! You'll be able to go ice skating.

We went to Linlithgow today, and deliberately avoided your road, it looked pretty nasty from the Bowhouse side. Not as bad up at Linlithgow Bridge though.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
Then it'll freeze Chris - and hot water freezes quicker than cold  ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:56 pm »
i've plenty of grit to deal with whats left.

the road outside my hosue is actually OK, we were driving to Livingston today though and hit sheet ice approaching teh bathgate/armadale roundabout. car started sliding, so had to steer it off the road into the deep snow to avoid going into a car on th roundabout.

in the time it took me to gt the car out, i saw about another 4/5 cars spin - one did a 180, 2 collided, one went straight through the junction, over the road and onto the roundabout.

My biggest fear was someone going into me while I was freeing my car

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »
In some ways I'm glad my battery is dead then! ;D  Will this hamper your new business plans?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »
well, if the web developer had done what he'd promised, then yes, it would have caused me some problems

though, i could actually just pull the van out by putting a tow rope on the back of the car. I don't think it's the ice that's the problem as much as it's the rear wheel drive trying to get up a slope

i've meetings tomorrow with the local baker, a deli and a fitness instructor/nutritionist. Once i've spoken to them all, i'll have my final product list/price list and I'm ready to rock and roll.

the web should be finished by next weekend, then we'll be up and running - a week later than i'd hoped, but not too bad really

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:26 pm »
I don't think it's the ice that's the problem as much as it's the rear wheel drive trying to get up a slope
  Why don't you park it in the drive the other way round when you eventually get it out?

sandy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:21 pm »
Best not to go out with all this ice, our paths are still slippery even though Steve cleared them, lot's of frozen doggy poooo as well. I popped out yesterday, wanted to go to Dobbies but then saw the snow comming down so went to Tesco for a few bits and I skidded on the ice around the courner where the flats are, nothing was comming and I did not panic and as I was already going slow, no damage but it was much worse when I cam back...stop in as long as you can, internet is good for delivery!!! I even find it slippery where the ducks and chickens are as they have trampled the snow down hard and it is like a skating ring.... I hate walking in this weather.......stay in and keep warm.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:27 am »

I didn't really think about being snowed in much until last night. Yesterday morning the power went off suddenly, and remained so for most of the day (I later found out that somebody had shot through the power line by accident   :o). We managed quite nicely boiling water and making pancakes over the open fire!

Last night was another matter though. At about 5pm, something with blue flashing lights raced past the living room window, and when I looked out, I realised it was a fire engine, which then promptly got stuck on the icy hill just past our house. It turned out that the next cottage up the track (1/2 mile away) had a chimney fire, but there was no way the fire engine was going to get up to it. Eventually somebody gave the firemen a lift up in a 4x4, by which time the fire was already out.

However, it makes you think - we're only half an hour from Glasgow here, which I hardly consider 'remote'. It always amuses me how people refer to us as living in the sticks, as frankly 80% of Scotland is far more remote than we ever are. It did make me think though - it's a good job it was only a chimney fire, as had it been a house fire I'm sure they'd have just got the people out and then let it burn. Likewise, there would have been little chance of getting an ambulance up the track in an emergency.

We were going to buy a Landrover as well, but something tells me they'll be fetching a bit of a premium over the next few months, so maybe we'll hang back until the Spring!!  ;D

Looking forward to the thaw now!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sandy

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:59 am »
Amaing, poor people with the Chimney fire, I bet they never thought they were inexcessable either...I suppose the same would apply to the ambulance and other emergency services unless they had 4 track's. We were going to buy one as well, in fact we were bidding for one on E Bay and lost by £100 but reality checked in not to bid anymore as with insurance etc it would have cleared our savings out, they've gone now anyway as the energy bills are in and we have had some other unexpected expenses. I always have wanted a Landrover Defender but now would love any of the other short sheel based 4x4, un-necessary for us but nice...one day!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »
I don't think it's the ice that's the problem as much as it's the rear wheel drive trying to get up a slope
  Why don't you park it in the drive the other way round when you eventually get it out?

GOT TO GET IT OUT 1ST!!!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »
several hours later and we are free!!!!

the house done a grand job clearing the snow/ice (with the help of my fork, rake and brush)

the drive is clear, dry and ice free

I only had a small amount of grit left though so has been used sparingly as I believe there is a bit of a shortage!

fingers crossed I can get it back out tomorrow!! LOL

Was driving through linlithgow today, and I have to say, it's near scandalous that some housing estates still haven't been cleared. I know one tradesman (a plumber) who is in the same situation as me - can't get his rear wheel drive out of his street (he can get it out the drive - which he has gritted and cleared - but the road hasn't been and his van can't get across the snow) I'm sure there are a few folk needing his services this week - must be losing a fortune.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 07:44:24 pm »
My kids just came over to do my drive and the bridge - they tried B & Q, Wickes, Screwfix(closed) and a few building suppliers - they all ran out of grit, sand, and salt a week ago and no more likely to come in for another week. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »

We never had any salt / grit in any case, but have scattered wood ash from the fire along our paths, to surprisingly good effect.

HOWEVER, we're wishing we'd put some on the road as well, since the Scottish Power landrover sent to repair the power line (see above) managed to skid into our porch this afternoon, knocking the wooden structure off its foundations, and somewhat freaking out poor Mrs Womble, who was in the room next door!

None of our stuff was damaged (save a flower pot or two), but I reckon the whole porch will have to be re-built, which will be a right hassle. The front door is now hanging at a funny angle, about 1" lower than usual, and the rest of the porch is now about 6" further South than it used to be!

Then, to cap it all, the rest of Mr Scottish Power's mates turned up, and promptly cut our electricity off for most of the evening whilst they repaired the damaged cable. So, for the next person who says "oh, must be quiet living out where you are - bet nothing much ever happens"...............   ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 10:07:41 pm »
I promise not to drive into anything when I come out to visit ... I also promise not to come out to visit until the roads are sane!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:18 pm »

We never had any salt / grit in any case, but have scattered wood ash from the fire along our paths, to surprisingly good effect.

HOWEVER, we're wishing we'd put some on the road as well, since the Scottish Power landrover sent to repair the power line (see above) managed to skid into our porch this afternoon, knocking the wooden structure off its foundations, and somewhat freaking out poor Mrs Womble, who was in the room next door!

None of our stuff was damaged (save a flower pot or two), but I reckon the whole porch will have to be re-built, which will be a right hassle. The front door is now hanging at a funny angle, about 1" lower than usual, and the rest of the porch is now about 6" further South than it used to be!

Then, to cap it all, the rest of Mr Scottish Power's mates turned up, and promptly cut our electricity off for most of the evening whilst they repaired the damaged cable. So, for the next person who says "oh, must be quiet living out where you are - bet nothing much ever happens"...............   ;)
I trusty it will be a much improved all singing all dancing porch since Scottish power will pay for it???  That might make my sleepless nights bearable (night coal trains on SAK line)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS