Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I stop a ewe from coming into season?  (Read 2775 times)

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
Can I stop a ewe from coming into season?
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:07:20 pm »
I have an old ewe with only half a mouth who struggled a bit last winter and her lamb didn't grow well so I think she needs to retire.  So I had a plan - I castrated my 5 ram lambs this time and put her in a nice sheltered paddock with them for the winter.  Last week I found her under the hedge in the ditch laid out and when I retrieved her the wethers were rather too interested, so I brought her inside.  I thought she would die as she seemed to give up but she is now up on her feet and enjoying room service in a nice warm stable. Now I don't know what to do - I know sheep don't like being on their own but I am loathe to put her back with the wethers as she will come into season again & again - she was fine with them up until now.

Anyone know when she will stop coming into season or how to fool the system into thinking she is already in lamb?

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Can I stop a ewe from coming into season?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »
Does it make any difference if she is not going in with a ram?? what breed is she??

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:25:22 am »
properly castrated lambs shouldn't have any interest in mating .....  testosterone is made in the testicles. So there is no reason not to leave her with them. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:36:36 am »
She will stop when the days are at their shortest, unless she's a Dorset.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:47:01 pm »
I put an older Shetland back with the ram in early February, thinking she would be safe by then.  She lambed on 10th July ::) ::)

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 03:59:50 pm »
She is Hebridean.  I don't know if lambs were "properly" castrated, I did them at birth with rubber rings and they definitely have no testicles hanging down, but I can't say anything more than that. When I brought here in the lambs were showing a lot of interest and I thought they must have bullied her and caused the accident, it may just be coincidence.  I hadn't expected her to survive but she is up nd eating and bright as a button again now.  So where do I put her is my problem? 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
We have Soay. Our wethers were not in with the ewes as they came into season  ..... tup was in and wethers in a separate field with their sister. However, once the tup 'went home' we reunited the flock. As the ewes came close to lambing the wethers became a real nuisance ..... trying persistently to mount the ewes and chasing them constantly. Think it must have been due to a change in 'smell' given off by the ewes as their hormones changed. Ours were certainly wethers but still exhibited male behaviour at that time. Previously they showed no 'ram - like' characteristics.

So (and I only have limited experience) I would disagree and say that even properly castrated wethers can show interest in mating and could have caused the problems with your old ewe.

Hope you can find a way to keep her safe.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
Have you got other ewes who are in with the tup?

If he is raddled, couldn't you move one of the ewes into the barn /other field with the old ewe once they have been covered?  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS