Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel to hen ratio question  (Read 2567 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Cockerel to hen ratio question
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:38:27 am »
Morning everyone , we currently have one cockerel running with nine hens . We are soon to move house and the chooks will come with us and continue to run free range . However the chook coop for night time is smaller , so my neighbour has offered to take four hens from us .  My question is  - will one cockerel to five hens be okay ? Obviously come the spring time the hens may be getting more attention , and we wouldn't want them to be injured through over mating . We would appreciate comments  / advise ,
many thanks ,
Stefan .

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Cockerel to hen ratio question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:21:33 am »
I would think it should be ok, but even with larger numbers of hens, an over enthusiastic cock, one with large Spurs or one who decides he has a favourite hen you can get the same problems.
I have two boys. One is laid back, one is feisty. Feisty loves my light sussex hen, and laid back one is very heavy, so they spend half their lives shut in a pen, which is a bit of a shame but better for my girls.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:34:12 am »
I think it depends on what your cockeral is like. Mine is a real gent, lovely bird and great father, I only have three hens but have had no problems with him over working them. On the other hand my friend runs her cockeral with a dozen or so hens but he has two favourites who he won't leave alone, their backs are a mess of ripped out feathers.

If your man is a gent you will be fine

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:08:24 am »
You can trim spurs, they do the damage. Or remove them altogether.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:25:35 am »
Or fit saddles during the breeding time.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:08 pm »
Many thanks for all the comments .  Our cockerel is quite a gentle lavender Orpington and doesn't seem to have a favourite hen . He's the only cock we've owned who has never had a go at me - I'll keep an eye on things after the move and hopefully it'll work fine .  Thanks again for the replies .   

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:26 pm »
I've had a Welsummer in with 4 hens for a year and they were fine. But then you get the other ones. I had Blue Copper Marans boy who was stunning but would focus on 1 or 2 hens and try to have sexy time with them every 5 minutes so he had to go in the end. My current Welsummer boy lives with 12 hens and fertility is usually 100% during the season.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS