Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: breeding time  (Read 10669 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
breeding time
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
Today all the tups went in with there ewes, Black Shetland group tup and five ewes, Fawn katmogget group tup with six ewes, Castlemilk group tup and two ewes. The excitement never wanes here's to a good lambing. I'm a we bit early this year.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: breeding time
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:25 pm »
Best of luck! We put Taylor in yesterday lunchtime and had three yellow bums this morning but I hae ma doots about about one of them; time will tell. Always an exciting time. :excited:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »
I have also put my GB ( golden balls) in with his girls. Poll Dorset ram and mix bred ewes. I too have one with yellow rear this am.  :excited:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »
Well my boys are still on the wrong side of the fence, but it doesn't stop the girls wagging their tails from their side... I will be lambing late (outdoors in the field), so another month till the fun begins here. But they do seem to be ready for it now!

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:10:50 pm »
my lambing starts 24th december...roll on lambing :)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:53 pm »
I have two out of 30 with yellow bums, which surprised me!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:17 pm »
 I am picking up the ram I bought yesterday in two weeks time, as am rather busy.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:05:47 pm »
for many fine reasons, Rocky has to cool his heels till the 28th November before getting to play with his ladies...

fingers crossed i can keep them apart till then!!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »
We ended up keeping our three Lleyn boys for another year, they went in last week with 100 ewes, lots marked already. No ewe lambs being tupped, one as we don't like it really and two we ain't got a ram x

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »
Now starts the prep, bring it on, I adore lambing xx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »
for many fine reasons, Rocky has to cool his heels

Well... my boys have to keep other parts of their body cool, not their feet though... ;D

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:31 pm »
Sunday is the day I split the ewes up into two mobs for tupping, already have a fair idea who's going to what but it might change on the day.

One lot going to a maternal shedding tup and the other to a pair of Charmoise for fat lambs. Will be good to see the results next April, i'm already praying for  :sunshine:

Got 700 to lamb indoors at work in February, always interesting to compare the two systems.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 03:49:33 pm »
Our tups went in on Monday.

Ace, our Zwartble tup has spent two days now french kissing two Z ewe lambs through the fence, who we are not planning to tup, whilst ignoring the two we put in the same field with him.  Meanwhile wee Calvin, the Shetland tup lamb we got from Bloomer has put in several hundred miles chasing the Manxs around their field (cue the Benny Hill music), but hasn't actually caught any of them yet. I have my doubts as to whether he'll be able to reach without a step anyway  :roflanim: .

By the way, do your tups smell?  Ace really stinks - a kind of musky smell, but he keeps rubbing his face against me when I go in the field, Mrs Womble has disowned me, and I've run out of clean clothes......  :innocent:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:27:44 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »
I have my doubts as to whether he'll be able to reach without a step anyway  :roflanim: .

I thought that about our bull last year but he managed just fine. Love will find a way  ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 06:53:39 pm »
Our tup smells awful :o .  Even the ewes run away :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS