Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggie questions....... UPDATE  (Read 8718 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Piggie questions....... UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 11:49:15 am »
Ok, here's the latest dilemma!

We borrowed a boar and three weeks ago he served her, very thoroughly over a couple of days and then we took him home.
This weekend I think she's in season again! Vulva swollen and has a mucus discharge and she is frantic to escape......

Any ideas or are sausages the only way forward.... :-(

Other dilemma is if I have to pay £27 kill and cut up plus 50p/lb for sausages then how much is she going to cost to be done? She is massive, as in tall and long and well fleshed but to my eye not over fat

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »
Is the boar near enough to give her another try now?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 12:08:20 pm »
Yep but this is the third time she hasn't held so I'm thinking there must be a reason? She's not cheap to keep and she last farrowed a year ago now.......

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »
does you abattoir have a weight limit?
have you considered collecting her from the abattoir and butchering her yourself? it will save you money. could you borrow/buy a sausage maker?
when we wanted a whole sow made into sausages , our butcher quoted approx. £300 in labour though she was fully grown. too much money.

maybe she has fatty ovaries or something.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »
I too would suspect a reporductive problem and cull.  What's her condition?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 04:19:09 pm »
Yep but this is the third time she hasn't held so I'm thinking there must be a reason? She's not cheap to keep and she last farrowed a year ago now.......

Sorry, I hadn't read the beginning properly.

It seems like a crying shame, but if it is going to cost you more than the sausages are worth, it might be better to cut your losses and just have her culled by your local NFSCO collector.  A really frustrating thing to have to do, though.

Is the meat still OK on a sow of that age?  We have an older sow who is looking a wee bit stiff on her back legs and is absolutely massive, so it is something we are going to have to deal with too at some point.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »
We can sell sausage all day long so think we are going to go down that route.

Spoke to butcher today, they do charge abit more as she's bigger but that's fine.  We are going for sausage, bacon and mince for burgers/homemade sausage I think.

Or may possibly get them to butcher half only.....not to sure...sad it's come to this really

She truly is massive and my small sausage maker would never cope with doing it all myself.
Expecting around the £2-300 hundred mark but confident I can recoup the cost.

Spoke to auctioneer aswell and he thinks she'd make around £180-£200 at market. I know this would be the easy option but don't want to put her through it :-(.

She's in good condition as being doing nothing since weaning in February but by no means over fat.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
It is a shame, but if you can recoup the costs you are making the best you can of the situation.

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 09:52:40 am »
Sorry to hear that Sbom, but if it's any consolation, it should be great bacon and sausage  :thumbsup:
I'm with you on sending her yourself instead of sending to market, that way you are in control of what happens.
Good luck.
Karen

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:08 am »
When we sausaged two sows early this year we got about 450lb of sausages from each which cost us around £l/lb for the abattoir to make for us and we sold them all in about 24 hours at £2.50/lb.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »
Thanks everyone, think we're going to take her on Thursday......no point dragging it out and the abattoir stops doing home kill soon as they are busy with Christmas orders :-(

Not looking forward to it though  :'(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:40 am »
Get her there just before they open. That way she will be the first through and be gone before she knows it.  :hug: :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS