Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppy chew toys  (Read 5597 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Puppy chew toys
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »
I have a 15 week old Welsh Sheepdog puppy who likes chewing .... and I need some suggestions for the best chew toys please.  I need something will actually last and not be destroyed within a few days.
He has a Nylabone ....well half a bone now, that has only lasted 3 weeks ... Kongs, but he doesn't tend to chew these, just licks them, Braided rope things, which he likes chewing but they fall apart so they get taken away once they get tatty...

Any suggestions gratefully received :)  Would he be better off with real bones, or is he too young?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Puppy chew toys
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:23:29 pm »
I was going to say kong until I see he has kings. Have you tried the kong bone? Just wondering if the standard kong shape is too awkward for him to chew.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
Antler pieces,  available at pet shops seem fine on young teeth.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »
oh good, i was thinking about them but didn't know if they would be too hard.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:37:33 pm »
Antler pieces,  available at pet shops seem fine on young teeth.
[/quotes]

Beware! These DO splinter and I've seen nasty injuries caused by them!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:12:56 pm »
Really??

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »
As in - Really?? ( tell me more) not really??( disbelief)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:46 pm »
old trainers/boots, socks, gloves, towel, cardboard boxes, fruit tree prunnings, plastic milk bottles. Something new every day!  Where's the cute puppy photo though?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:48 pm »
Yes, i was told to keep away from antlers too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:33:26 am »
They are sharp once chewed and large splinters can break off so can cause damage anywhere from the dogs mouth to the dogs bowels with abrasions, blockages and wounds.

Edited to say almost as bad as bones.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:12 am »
old trainers/boots, socks, gloves, towel, cardboard boxes, fruit tree prunnings, plastic milk bottles. Something new every day!  Where's the cute puppy photo though?

Yes, well, i'm trying to keep all of the above intact. The tea towel is his current favourite :D

This is him at 11 weeks, before the brown rug was chewed up and that nylabone bone was decimated....

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:23 am »
They are sharp once chewed and large splinters can break off so can cause damage anywhere from the dogs mouth to the dogs bowels with abrasions, blockages and wounds.

Edited to say almost as bad as bones.
I'll go with antlers for now, but he'll be supervised.  Can't be any worse than twigs, shoes, rugs, chair legs, tv remotes, door frames...:S  And I've ordered a Kong bone to see if that's a better shape for him :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:54 am »
Oh those eyes :love: :love: .  Keep buying the rope thingies ;D

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
The dogs I've seen with broken teeth after antlers have pretty manky looking teeth. No-one can answer if its underlying bad teeth (usually the reason for giving them antlers) or the antlers themselves causing the problems.
I feed them but its a risk you weigh up :) I would give a pup the split ones and monitor.

My lot are raw fed, and when the youngest was teething she enjoyed a lot of frozen wings - chicken or duck and single beef ribs. It depends again on the dog - my middle dog is a gannet so even as a pup would have tried to swallow them when they got small but the other 2 wouldn't.  RAW bones have a very low risk of problems. Its cooked bones that splinter and cause problems

Anco roots are supposed to be good but I've never used them myself.

Have you tried stuffing the kongs? You can use all sorts (and freeze them) - mine love blended banana and yoghurt - poured in and frozen keeps them quiet for hours, or soft food

Will have a think what else we have kicking round the house. I've had 2 chewers :D Whatever you use there is a risk

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 11:59:01 am »

Have you tried stuffing the kongs? You can use all sorts (and freeze them) - mine love blended banana and yoghurt - poured in and frozen keeps them quiet for hours, or soft food

yes, and he loves them. but he doesn't chew them, he only licks 'em.  In fact when it gets near the end he barks for someone to "squidge" it for him to loosen the end bit, lol.  So then as soon as he's finished he goes and finds something else to chew... :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS