Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick cat  (Read 3562 times)

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Sick cat
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:43:33 am »
Our 10 year old neutered male moggy has had a bad weekend. Over the past year he's lost weight, but he was overweight before and since moving to the country he's loved mousing and moleing so has been far more active. Last week though he stopped eating and lost more weight rapidly, and took to our daughter's bed. We took him to the vet's on Saturday and they did a blood test. Which is all normal- no infection and no renal problems. He's vomited a mainly digested bundle of bones and fur on Saturday afternoon and since then has drunk gallons of water. He always did drink a lot because he will only eat dried food and he's been tested for diabetes a couple of times already- always negative results.
Rat poisons the neighbours use are anti coagulants, anti freeze poisoning has more symptoms than he has...
The vets have said to wait and see how he goes, that if he's been poisoned we have a 2 week window, but they were a bit blundery on Saturday- giving me someone else's results (a dog's from September...) initially, and then having to wait til this morning for the renal results as the computer was broken.
Any ideas? I don't know if his initial weightloss is clouding the issue for me and I'm thinking of something more sinister than the vet...

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Sick cat
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Did they test for an overactive thyroid?
If he doesn't pick up, I would tend to xray in case there are more bones or fur causing an obstruction

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:23:31 pm »
Poor boy. Hope he's ok :fc:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:35:45 pm »
I agree with Fsmnutter, could still be an obstruction. How has he been since throwing up? Hope he bounces back soon.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies. He's been a bit more active since throwing up- only to the point of taking himself outside to lie in the sun instead of daughter's bed, but he's moving carefully. He's drinking and weeing but thats all, he feels really fragile. He's neither better or worse though since seeing the vet. I'm going to take him again tomorrow when the vet who is better with small animals is working. I agree about needing an x-ray.
There is a bit of a dismissive attitude to cats here sometimes, one neighbour saying that 'cats don't count as a life'. This one was abandoned by his mum before his eyes were open, we bottlefed him and my daughter carried him around in a bag for weeks. He counts.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:28 pm »
It could be that he had the blockage and is now making a slow recovery. If you're offering him food then offer things like boiled fish/chicken with rice.

My boy, now sadly passed due to a RTA, came home once looking very bad, just started fading like he had given up on life, normally a big eater he wouldn't eat or drink anything, wouldn't get up. I was about to take him to the vet when my mum, a nurse, came round and gave him some water via a syringe into his mouth before I could stop her (I was worried about him choking. He perked up later that day. I think his might have just been a tummy bug from raiding someone's bin though.

It was horrible seeing him fade and not knowing what to do though, think it was only 24 hours with him but still awful. That your boy is drinking and weeing is a good sign, dehydration can be really bad for them.

What's his name? I'll keep him in my thoughts.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:28 pm »
He's called Bramble and he's eaten a little minced chicken this evening.  :fc: that it stays down.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:17 pm »
 :fc: Thinking of you both

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »
Fingers crossed he is feeling better now.  My cats have been catching a lot of birds and rats just lately.  Then they throw up - I am sure all those feathers and fur are not good for them.  Hopefully that's what your boy has done, and now on the way to recovery.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 01:01:28 pm »
If he's eating n it's not coming back up that sounds positive, poor boy, hope he's fully better soon x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS