Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Approval for handling skins  (Read 3057 times)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Approval for handling skins
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:10:03 am »
Hi there
Has anyone had a visit from Animal Health to check them out for handling hides and horns from the abattoir?
As a vet, I have found all the relevant legislation but no idea what she'll be looking for!
Hoping for any advice

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Approval for handling skins
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:36:03 pm »
Good luck with it.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
I did it over the phone and by email, no visit, just a very helpful animal health lady and sensible vet. :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »
fsmutter - I guess we are in the must visit area - I enquired, filled in paperwork but had not response till after the boys had gone so things were too late but they want to come out now for next year in case I want to keep the skins - I guess they want to see where you are doing things but I'm not sure. Since then had a visit from animal health!! so I guess this had probably triggered all sorts of things[/size][size=78%] [/font][/size][/color][size=78%] :innocent: [/size]
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:16:21 pm »
Hi FSM I tried to text you but my phone is not happy since little one drowned it  ::)  I had my inspection on Thursday. They are looking for where you will be keeping them  (it needs to be vermin and wild bird proof), records of your vermin control policy, records of the materials you have handled. The lady was very nice and helpful.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:04 pm »
we've had horns delivered back from abattoir and our skins go straight to the tanners. The horns I think had to be checked that they don't contain anything untoward before we got them back, which were then sold on to someone who does horncraft
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »
Hi everyone
I was thinking of sending my first lambs skin when he goes to the abbatoir in a few weeks. Where abouts are the  tannerys (I'm in Cumbria) and are they reasonably prices for a single skin?
May give up on this idea before its even got off the ground if it involves lots of additional paperwork although if it can go straight to the tannery to save it that would be best.

Ideas/experiences appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:07:35 pm by JFisherGreenlea »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 07:02:00 pm »
I think you will find that its the wrong time of year to send a skin off now. Cost per skin is somewhere around £35
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:29:13 pm »
I think I had read that December is too late because of the fleece growth.  Will think about it and research more for next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS