Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woo Hoo, bought a little Polled Dorset ram lamb!  (Read 4411 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Woo Hoo, bought a little Polled Dorset ram lamb!
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »
Managed to secure a little Polled Dorset ram lamb for tupping next year.  He is a cracking little ram lamb, fantastic temperament and sooooo cute!!  Got him cheap as his tail got forgotton in the banding process.  (i can cope with a long tail)  Well chuffed!  :excited:

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Re: Woo Hoo, bought a little Polled Dorset ram lamb!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »
Got to love the polled Dorsets!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »
Great effort, love my poll dorsets!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:07:32 pm »
If he was Spring born you could use him on a smalll number of ewes this year.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:03:38 am »
Great stuff  :thumbsup:

Piccies will, of course, be required.  :eyelashes:

Just a thought... the Poll Dorset can breed at any time, so not necessarily safe to leave him with the ewes out of season.  ;)   And definitely if you keep any of his daughters on, they are likely to inherit this capability.  (Just in case you didn't already know ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:11:30 am »
Congratulations on your new little family member  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:37:50 am »
Lambs are being born now around here - Dorsets of course ;D

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:23 pm »
Yeh that was one of the interesting sides to the Dorsets that i like, flexible lambing!!  Actually he is just gorgeous to look at and that is why i have bought him!!   :excited:

He wont be running with the ewes all year, Bertie, my castrated Corradale will run with him most of the year.  Bertie is fab, has kept all my tups company, he is as tame as a dog as he was hand reared so he follows me around from paddock to paddock which makes moving the tup he is nannying so much easier. 

I kept back some ewe lambs from this year out of my deceased Romney ram.  Have borrowed a Hampshire Down who has just about finished doing his stuff so next year i can keep a few of his ewe lambs.  Didnt want to use little Dorset this year as it gives me the opportunity to select ewe lambs from the best ewes out of the Hampshire.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »
Hmm, some things just arnt meant to be, wee Polled Dorset Ram lamb decided to curl up his toes and die last night!!  Grrrr!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:26 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:32 pm »
Oh no  :o

And after all the trouble you went to, deciding and then getting hold of him.  Have you got a stand-in lined up?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:40 pm »
Oh Gosh!  :o thats a shock, im sorry to hear that

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:51 pm »
Sheep never cease to amaze me, they can be bouncing around happy and healthy one minute and dead the next!!  He was fine yesterday morning, had a phone call at midday to say i had a sheep looking poorly, rushed over to the paddock and found him down and unable to get up.  Popped him in the pickup and brought him back to a stable.  He had the "head rolling back and i am about to die" expression!  Decided to pop inside and get the 4.10 out of the gun cabinet, by the time i got back out to him to shoot him he was dead!! 

Haven't even paid for him yet!!  Actually the nice chap i got him off very kindly said i didnt need to pay for a dead sheep!!  Really gutted though as he was a really nice boy.  Now got to start looking around for another tup for next year.  Ewes are in with a Hampshire Down for this year, so will take my time and see if i can find another nice Poll Dorset ram lamb.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:49:59 pm »
Very sad to hear that   :(

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:55 am »
I posted a topic on the coffee lounge forum its a polled Dorset tup. Maybe a little exspensive though. still he looks nice.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS