Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mischievous bearded collie pup!  (Read 2679 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Mischievous bearded collie pup!
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:52 am »
Heya guys
Here is a question, did any of you have any trouble with dogs pulling washing off the line? The bearded collie pup which I bought earlier this year, loves pulling washing off the line and chewing it. I am so livid when she does this, and it really upsets me and my mum as we have to clean the washing. How do I break this habit?  ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Mischievous bearded collie pup!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:26 am »
Make a higher washing line? ;)

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:23 am »
An empty and clean washing up bottle filled with water, each time it goes for the washing, squirt her with it, should cure it reasonably quickly but obviously you need to catch her at it.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »
Beardies are full of fun and can get into lots of mischief. Can you distract her with a treat, quick game of ball, 5 minutes training? None of my beardies have done the washing thing but the pup is a keen digger so there is always something they will get up to.

AnnS

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:15 pm »
Sorry WBF no idea how to cure it but just wanted to give a funny story that fits.
Many years ago I had a dog that was left on its own for quite long periods while we were both at work. He would go out in the garden, via the cat flap, he was much too big for it really but still got through.
When we got home from work one day the dog was curled up in the armchair on top of a very nice duvet cover. It wasn't even my duvet cover. It belonged to the neighours. Somehow he had got it off of their washing line, carried it over the fence and pulled it through the cat flap before arranging it on his chair  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:55 pm »
Sorry WBF no idea how to cure it but just wanted to give a funny story that fits.
Many years ago I had a dog that was left on its own for quite long periods while we were both at work. He would go out in the garden, via the cat flap, he was much too big for it really but still got through.
When we got home from work one day the dog was curled up in the armchair on top of a very nice duvet cover. It wasn't even my duvet cover. It belonged to the neighours. Somehow he had got it off of their washing line, carried it over the fence and pulled it through the cat flap before arranging it on his chair  ;D
:roflanim:
Thanks that made my day :)
also thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll try and see if any of them work, the most difficult part is catching her, I have caught her once or twice and told her off for it.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »
you are so lucky to have a beardie, Iv always wanted one  :love: :love:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »
We had one when the children were small, he hated them going out of his sight, used to round them up. He was also an escape artist and was well known round the town, he would go to the pub, turn up at the school and  wait for the children coming out. We had a six foot high wooden fence with a rail at the top as suggested by the dog warden and Findlay still could climb it
As there were always children coming and going it was  hard to keep him in so we decided reluctantly to rehome him , they kept him for 5 days and brought him back as they couldn't cope.
He did eventually settle down and was with us till he died at 14 yrs old.
Anne

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
Even as a pup she climbs silage bales and can clear high fences, I now know why they use them for breeding lurchers. I got her for £200 quite a bargain actually, her bloodlines go back quite a way and she is a pedigree working animal. Well not quite working, I need to teach her to round up sheep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 10:41:50 pm »
We had one when the children were small, he hated them going out of his sight, used to round them up. He was also an escape artist and was well known round the town, he would go to the pub, turn up at the school and  wait for the children coming out. We had a six foot high wooden fence with a rail at the top as suggested by the dog warden and Findlay still could climb it
As there were always children coming and going it was  hard to keep him in so we decided reluctantly to rehome him , they kept him for 5 days and brought him back as they couldn't cope.
He did eventually settle down and was with us till he died at 14 yrs old.
I had a komondor which used to pick me up when I fell over, when I was little of course.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS