Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Patio help please  (Read 6088 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Patio help please
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:44:17 pm »
I wasn't sure whether to put this under gardens or buildings, hopefully it won't matter.
I want a patio approx 10' wide by 35' long. Currently it is a rough grass area bordered on one side by a low stone wall that is falling down. This morning a tradesman came to take a look at what needs to be done and is going to give me a quote. He intends to bring in a mini digger to level it out.
Whilst I think he will be fine with the labouring side he doesn't seem to be able to suggest much. (probably need an expensive landscape gardener to do that)
Does anyone have a suggestion of what would make a nice patio without it being too formal. Big square slabs for example just wouldn't suit the rustic look of this place. I was thinking of some sort of crazy paving but none of the companies I have looked at seem to do that. I have looked at Travis Perkins and similar places on line and its all Bradstone, Marshalls, paving slabs.
Not sure where else to look for inspiration.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Patio help please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 01:47:39 pm »
Here is a website I just found. Hope this helps.
http://www.pavingexpert.com/crazypav.htm
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »
Crazy paving seems to have gone out of fashion a bit.  I don't know why - it suits the more "rustic" areas I think, and I should know - I have done loads of it here!   ;D   I did pay some lads to do some more underneath my solar panels - and boy was the labour expensive!  I actually think I did a better job of laying my paving than they did of the area too.   It's just fiddly doing all the pointing.  I also have a load of stone left over so if you want some... :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:06 pm »
John and I found absolutely loads of old bricks when we moved into our croft in Aberdeenshire - we gathered them all together and he built a patio from those with boulders round the edge and herbs planted in the gaps.  It was very effective and although the  cottage was granite they were well weathered from being underground for a long time so they fitted in well
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:10 pm »
You're right to be thinking carefully before you go ahead.  If you decide after a season that you can't stand what you have chosen then you're stuck with it really.
Also, choose who lays it very carefully indeed, and if possible see some of their previous work, don't just take their word for it that they know what they're doing.  Keep a close eye on progress, especially with any 'planting gaps' - you don't want them in any old place or you end up walking on the plants, so choose where you want them and mark carefully.

Old brick does work well.  We used old brick from the demolition of a Victorian chimney in a previous house.  By planting in the gaps as Doganjo says it really does soften the whole thing up. The bricks themselves had begun to exfoliate, which added to the charm.  An advantage of brick, or of something like slates on their sides, is that you can create curves.  A rectangular plan will always look more council made than one with curved edges, and maybe curved patterns within the design.
Here we went for irregularly placed (staggered) black split limestone which has a sort of naturally textured surface from when the rock was formed.  We like it here, but it isn't black and it does look a bit more pavementish than we had intended.  I think if we had chosen a (much) more expensive version we could have had it without any machine cutting of the edges, which are too sharp really - a champfered (sp?) edge looks better.  The moss is growing on the mortar now which softens it a bit.
Our drive is laid of reclaimed granite cobbles from the streets of Edinburgh, and that does look nice, though perhaps not quite rustic enough for what you want.  It's also impossible to walk on with high heels  ::)

I'm not a lover of crazy paving.  It soon looks scruffy and scabby unless an expert has laid it. Too often it's just made of smashed up concrete paving slabs. You could though have the basic stones of granite to match your house.  You have to match or contrast, not have something similar but not quite the same.  I think crazy paving would be desperately tedious to weed in the spaces, and weeds grow even with the best done mortar.  But think of all those irregular gaps to poke around in - endless.

Reclaimed granite flags which are several hundred years old are so beautiful and fit in anywhere, but you would break the bank buying them and break your back trying to lift them  :o
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:59:28 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
Thanks to all those who posted links. I will take a look when I have 5 mins. I have a couple of big piles of rocks here, they were already here when we moved in. I think some have been taken out of the field and others are probably what was left over when they renovated the house.
I am going to have a closer look to see if they would work. If so, it would certainly save me some money.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »
I have tried post a pic but cant. I built a patio from all sorts of things odd slabs, stone slabs left over from a job and filled gaps with areas of old brick, cobbles, pammets and the overall effect works well with our old house. It isnt an original idea and i admit i pinched it from a programme Geoff Hamilton did many years ago! Which shows it is long lasting too   :wave:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:17:40 pm »
Bionic ,
I know of a guy in Brynamman who makes slabs in all manner of shapes and colours at his own small set up.
They are almost twice as thick as the builders merchant slabs and anything from half to one third of their prices , he also delivers at exceedingly reasonable rates. He is good  very, very good .

I ordered one of the 12 foot x 12 foot " Sunburst " type sets plus several extra slabs , so I could disc cut them to make a bespoke pond surround . He made then whilst I was on holiday and delivered then the day after  we came back .

If you want to meet him ( I have no phone number )  Alison & I can take you there perhaps have some tea & cake on the way  .

This is some cheap hardboard ( £18 ish + Vat ) profiles I cut after drawing some of his slab shapes on packing box cardboard squares .
I made enough profiles with my electric jigsaw so as to be sure that they would overlap to give me unusual edges to overlap and butt up to each other for the pond surround.
 They are laid on a damp three inch thick 3 to 1 sharp sand to . cement base .

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:37:34 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
I made a crazy paving patio in my first house 20 yrs ago, I did it myself and merely went round the DIY places and tips until I had enough broken concrete slabs and cemented tem on top of a sand base. it was very inexpensive but labour intensive.
I think real flag stone looks nice.
we inherited loads of chuckies/granite stones outside areas here which is fine but not perfect.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 08:03:38 am »
Clodhoppers, that's useful to know. I am still at the initial looking round stage at the moment but may take you up on the offer later. Thanks

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:54:40 am »
An alternative approach- Our 50m2 patio consists of a layer of good quality weed matting covered with about 35mm of 25mm graded coloured stone chippings (slate chippings would also work) A few natural stone flags arranged in stepping stone fashion make pathways to picnic table,washing line,back and front doors etc. Supported by 1metre stone wall which is covered with low growing plants planted in shingle. relevly well draining with no puddles and a lot cheaper and easier to do than hard standing types.

Now in its 9 th year and only requires weeding or spraying once a year

Regen

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:58:08 am »
Google for Indian Stone, it is real stone paving quarried in India that is not too thick to handle easily. After levelling the area lay a sub base of building stone packed down with a vibrating 'whacker' then bed the slabs on top with mortar (laying to the correct falls and being aware of your DPC) Feel free to call by and see ours (away at present but back next week) if you want.

Bought ours from Leekes builders yard (out the back) as they had several crates on offer.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:53 am »
Am away currently and don't have access to my work photo's to send you, unless you really want the patchwork look of old brick etc (which are horrible to lay as they never fit together properly) either an indian sandstone in mixed sizes laid semi randomly or a good quality concrete slab in various sizes laid semi randomly gives the effect you want! Both should be laid on a full bed of mortar! Once in and set they will last a lifetime!!!

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
As Bloomer said mixed sizes looks good and is not as much of a headache as fitting crazy paving together (looks much better too). We also need to lay a large patio and will be looking into Indian stone. I have heard advice from garden designers not to use too many different materials as it can look a bit scrappy. Sandstone with a similar coloured pea single does look good however and is what we will be using.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS