Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sponging ewe-lambs  (Read 3102 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Sponging ewe-lambs
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:24 am »
I sponged my ewes a few weeks ago and that went fine, pretty easy to insert. Last night though I sponged my ewe-lambs, and it was much harder.  I knew it would be harder, but even though I went slowly with lots of lube, but some of them really just wouldn't go in very far. Obviously the ewe-lambs are smaller in dimension so will have shorter passages, but I'm not sure that a couple of them aren't in far enough.
The Chronogest applicator seemed a bit big really for my girls (Black Welsh Mountain, about 35kg), so I ended up just using the applicator to get the sponge in initially and then using my finger to slowly push it further up.  The girls weren't very happy about it, some were clearly finding it painful, so I didn't want to hurt them any more than was "necessary".
This is my first time sponging.  I had the vet come out and show me how to do it on the ewes, and I'd asked about the ewe-lambs and whether I would have any problems, and if maybe the hymen needed to be broken in advance and she said "no, it'll be fine". Lol.
So ... how far in is far enough?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Sponging ewe-lambs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:09 am »
With ewe lambs in is far enough!

The concern where you have used your finger to push them even a tiny bit further is that they are much more likely to get stuck in the cervix or go right through. Be prepared if you can't find a sponge to have one or two removed with forceps. 

Sponging ewe lambs can be a nightmare and though I do it occasionally I just use a teaser on them now and accept a longer lambing window.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13:33 am »
I only have short fingers :), and I literally only used the applicator to get the sponge squidged inside the opening, and then pushed in the sponge with the finger.
They all have plenty of string hanging out, so I'm not worried about not being able to find any in two weeks time :).

If I had more land I would keep a teaser, but as I only have a small flock I can't justify the extra mouth really.  My primary aim was to synchronise the ewes, so being able to synchronise the ewe-lambs is just a bonus, and if it doesn't work then hey-ho :).

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:41:43 pm »

So ... how far in is far enough?

You asked!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS