Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what rare breed would you reccommend?  (Read 11015 times)

highhorse

• Joined Feb 2014
what rare breed would you reccommend?
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:39:58 am »
Hello

So we have settled on rare breeds :)

We are going to keep rare breed sheep and cattle.

So, what breeds would you recommend and why?

To give you an insight, we have 20 acres of good grazing and natural shelter and a large barn for handling, calving, nursing etc. There is me and my husband and two children, one of who is still very young. The most important thing for us is a calm good natured/friendly breed.

We would look to sell privately and possibly for meat.

Thanks
 :wave:

Victorian Farmer

Re: what rare breed would you reccommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:48:24 am »
White park cattle and vailus sheep

highhorse

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:33 am »
thanks Victorian farmer, will look into these.

did you find them easy to work with?

:thumbsup:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:18:57 pm »
Shetland cattle - we started as complete novices with 4 bulling heifers and haven't regretted buying them.

Shetlands are cheap to feed  - they thrive on poor quality grazing, hardy - ours stay outside most of the time even though they have access to a large shed. They are easy calving - had to help a couple over the years, but mostly they do it themselves.

They are quite small  - not too tall, though some of them do get a bit round... Makes them less daunting than the larger commercial breeds.

Nice friendly cattle - trainable - ours will come to a whistle, are trained to go in & out of the shed through a DIY race and the crush - makes it easy for the vet when he comes for TB & BVD testing. Spending time with them helps keep them friendly and calm.

The steers make excellent beef, we sell our beef locally and to some customers in SE England.

There are a number of Shetland keepers on the forum - I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Sue
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:22:52 pm by Factotum »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »
I think victorian farmer is winding you up, the breeds he's listed are the rarest of the rare and stock is impossible to get!!!

I don't have cattle but love all the shtlands I have met!!!

Sheepwise there are a lot more choices and its going to be down to taste, ryelands are teddybears, shetlands whilst no longer truely rare are lovely and there's a dozen other breeds that would make the list as candidates, get along to an agricultural show or rare breed show and see what you like the look of as a starter! Because if you don't like the appearence of them its going to be hard to truely love them :-)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »
Shetland cattle for all the reasons Factotum gives.

Sheep; well, we keep Coloured Ryelands but they're not rare anymore. I think I'd go for one of the longwools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »
we keep shetlands and we also began as complete novices. they are perfect for us so wouldn't change them at all.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:22:21 pm »
Worked with many breeds of cattle in the past .....  now I have Shetlands and Dexter's. The Shetlands are great and very calm.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »
Worked with many breeds of cattle in the past .....  now I have Shetlands and Dexter's. The Shetlands are great and very calm.

Does that mean the Dexters aren't so much?   :cow:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:41 am »
What most folks do after asking this question is go for something they like the look of and that's fine, so pick out a few you like the look of and then try and see them in the flesh and get some first hand info from there owners. Most owners will be pleased to show you there stock and lots on TAS will help also the RBST. I have Shetland sheep and find them not at all as difficult as some would have you beleive. Not long branch into castlemilk moorits so can't say to much as haven't had them long enough. Next on my list are Hebridean. I have no cattle but have three breeds that take my fancy Shetland, Highland and Hereford. These are just my choices yours will be different best of luck with whatever you pick.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:58:27 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:01:01 am »
I like the Irish Moiled cattle.

Does anyone disbud their Shetlands?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:12 am »
My friend breeds irish moileds,
they are really lovely, there is a photo of them somewhere with children lying with them,
very docile and friendly breed and also very pretty

You dont see many around, around here they graze them on parts of Hook Common but unfortunately some environmental group has taken over a lart part of the common now,
They have brought "conservation" cows down
the cows they brought down are shetlands, they are a similair size and are doing the same job as the moileds were doing and are black cows with horns so not even as pretty, so there was no reason to replace them really

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:25:16 am »
I don't dis-bud my shetlands, theyv never been a problem as long as you are careful. my cattle aren't pushy at all so wouldn't dream of butting me.

choose a breed that fits in with your lifestyle. my cattle have to winter out so I felt that jerseys weren't ideal, even though id originally wanted one. i also really like the highlanders but you need a wider crush/race and find an abattoir that accepts the wider horns. having seen a particular highlander that was really matted, I do wonder if you need to spend time looking after their coats?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:02 am »

Does that mean the Dexters aren't so much?   :cow:

Dexters aren't rare breeds.    Not as calm as Shetlands .... but good fun and if handled well when young can be friendly.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Victorian Farmer

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:28:41 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS