Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread making  (Read 12359 times)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Bread making
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:44 pm »
Hi, has anyone got any good bread recipes I can try. Does anyone use a bread oven?, are they easy to build.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Bread making
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:34:45 pm »
Funnily enough,I was just looking at building a bread oven/earth oven and found this link (and indeed the whole site) very helpful....
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2002-10-01/Build-Your-Own-Wood-Fired-Earth-Oven.aspx
and I found some great recipes for bread on this site.....
http://www.downsizer.net/
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:36:10 am »
Thank you for that, I will go take a look

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:26 am »
Great site with the oven information, I think I will have a go at building one THANKS

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:36 am »
Does anyone know the best wood to burn in one of the fire ovens, I think OAK is a good one.

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:47:43 pm »
RE wood: oak is actually slow burning, ideal for keeping an oven or fire going all night, but gorse (dried ) is a traditional peasant fuel for bread ovens. Heats very quickly, gets the temp up. Bread is supposed to be cooked on a falling temperature, so burning gorse then raking out the ashes and slinging in the bread then blocking up the doorway is an old tried and tested way. Not by me, but I have seen it done...good luck

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:02 pm »
Thank you so much for that

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:22:32 pm »
What is Gorse??

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:00 am »
It's the green spikey stuff with yellow flowers that smell of coconut on a warm day,stem are quite woody and it's considered a weed.
http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees&Fungi/Herbs/Gorse/Photos/gorse-004.jpg ........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:01:26 pm »
Hiya again, there's a fellar called Dan Lepard whose got a book out called The Handmade Loaf. Mrs Wolfie bought it for me a few years ago, so now I've become a bit anorak about breadmaking. Lots of useful stuff in there. It eventually makes the shopbought stuff rather unpleasant. ... next anaorakky adventure is beer making.....

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:11:05 am »
Thank you

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »
Just ordered that book?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 12:30:09 pm »
hey ive got a recipie that i used in resturants and it has never failed me its a g8 one  u can trust me cos iam a chef lol
1lb strong flour
1/2oz yeast
1/2oz sugar
1/2oz oil
pinch salt
1/2 pint tepid water ( all ways use a little less as the oils makes up for it )
and the more oil u add the softer the bread in the end
place the water sugar oil and yeast in in disloving the yeast
sive the flour in a bowl add salt
make a pool in the middle of the flour adding the water mix in to it mix till forms a dough 
knead the dough 15 mins  till silky
 lace in bowl and on top of a warm oven or airing cuboard for an hour till it doubbles in size
the knock it bakc removing the air  cut and shape in to wat u want rolls or loafs
rolls work best at 60 g each make a good size dinner  roll
 once shaped  egg wash either flour or poppey seeds wat ever takes ya fancey
then allow to prove aain for 20 mins or untill doubbles again then bake for 15 -20 mins @ 220 oc  depnding on oven
the cooked test is if u tap one of the rolls and it sounds hollow it has cooked other wise its isnt an needs a bit longer 
ther are any questions ask its a great one it was the same recpie teached to gordon ramsey as i trained at the same place as him

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS