Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acquiring ne land  (Read 7227 times)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Acquiring ne land
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:17:33 am »
In April I am buying another 3 acres which will lay to the front of my property and I am wondering how best to manage this land.  It was really bought from the lady that I purchased the original property from in December last year as a "buffer zone" for my property. 

My reason for this topic is to ask for idea's on how to manage the new land with regards possible useage.  We obviously have a few idea's on what we want but we would like to make sensible use of this additional land whilst still enjoying what we are doing.  The land has previously been used for arable land, right up to this year growing corn.

I presently have around 6.5 acres of land that comprises of a quarry, about 4 acres, (SSSI Chalk grassland & sycamore tree's of which I have to cut down around 60 - on here Natural England want me to keep a few rare breed sheep for management) Woodland (around 1 acre) and other land adjacent to the house which I presently keep chickens & turkeys free range (Mainly Warren's, Sasso's & Jersey Giants) and having a polytunnel, greenhouse, raised beds, fruit tree's and of course the hen houses and an area sectioned off for a couple of pigs next year.

I know once we get the sheep (around 6 I believe and it has been suggested Hebridean) we will keep them in the quarry area for the 1st 12-18 months before we need to start rotating them to a section on the 3 acres, but I do not know how much area they will need.

OK I admit I am very new to this so any help would be great.

Regards Ann (Ooo & Merry Christmas all xx)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Acquiring ne land
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
how about some pigs they would love the woodland. and should keep he sycamores down. try some geese as well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:44:37 pm »
Depending on the land you shoudl be able to stock sheep at up to 5 to the acre.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »
Hello Ann,

I can recommend Hebridean sheep for conservation grazing.  They are fairly easy to keep and become very tame, but they have a natural tendency to regard every fence as a challenge!  They will go under or over anything they can, although good rylock sheep netting will retain them.  I wouldn't use electric fencing - I don't think they would respect it, and their horns might get entangled in electric sheep netting.  Their natural tendency is to creep under fences, so keep a tight bottom wire, but if startled (ie chased) they can easily clear 1 metre height.  Fortunately this seldom happens with contented sheep.  Once they get used to an area in which they lamb, they become "hefted" & will happily stay there.  They will also snack on any bushes or small trees within reach, so hedging needs to be double fenced until mature.

They will happily follow a bucket, and will follow you into an enclosure, but do not like being rounded up & tend to scatter, meaning that they will run towards you if they think they are being cornered, and rush past you on all sides at about 20mph (or it seems so...), leaping high into the air as they do so.

On the other hand, they are affectionate & friendly, for example if I shelter from rain under a tree they are quite likely to join me & enjoy a clap (Scots term for patting).  They are tough & perhaps less prone to foot ailments than commercial breeds, and so far mine have lambed without any human intervention.  Often frustrating but never boring.  I'm very fond of them.

John

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:56:40 am »
Hi John

I'm in love with the hebridean sheep already (LOL). 

I have a "real" farmer on my doorstep who keeps pedigree sheep and he has said that he would give me any advice and/or help I would need (he's lovely).  So its looks like I may be looking for some hebridean sheep in Spring.  We would like to keep you recommend around 6 sheep in total including possibly one ram.  Do you have any recommendations on where to source these ?  I was happy to see that you say they will follow a bucket of feed as I have been told by Natural England that they do not want a permanent feed trough down there and I was wondering how this would be.  They are going to help me with fencing costs and getting a "permanent water source down there nut the feeding was  worry to me.

Thank for your advice - really appreciated.
Regards
Ann

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:59:22 am »
Hi Rosemary

Thanks for your reply - appreciated.  I am going to keep some of the land set aside for moving the sheep up to from the quarry meadow after 18 months and then on a 6 month rotation as suggested by N. England.

Any more advice would be welcome.

Regards
Ann

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:03:08 am »
Hi Paul

We are definitely looking at pigs for the woodland as we thought the same - it will just take us some time to ensure all the fencing is secure.  Its really just a matter of which piece of work comes first for us at the moment.  Really I should say which project comes first as this really doesn't seem like work to us at the moment.

Thanks for the reply

Regards
Ann

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:54:57 am »
how come english nature is being so bossy.

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:26:14 am »
Hi Paul

It is due to the SSSI on the quarry land.  Its chalk grassland with different types of English orchids in there.  We have had 2 professors of "bugs" (sorry don't know the correct word) here this year and a couple of experts on grassland and orchids and they were "wetting" themselves with excitement (LOL).

We want to use the land (around 4 acres) for something but at the same time keep it as it should be.  Hence the sheep as other types of animals may damage the environment down there.  Don't get me wrong I am happy with the input they have done so far and I do agree that this area should be kept as it is (it is a gorgeous natural area and I love walking down there).  I am also planning on putting bee's down there this year as I am sure they will do well down there.  I will get some pictures this summer and put them on here - hey I may even see an orchid (tried last year but saw NONE).

I think its going to be a 5 year plan for chopping the sycamores (60 - 80 have to come down) - but at least it will keep me in fuel.  Non sycamores are being left and OMG I am not looking forward to managing the brambles down there this year, they have been left for at least 7 years.

Anyway that's the reasoning behind Natural England's involvement and at the moment I am welcoming their input - hope my feelings continue.

Regards
Ann

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:10:26 pm »
are they helping with the costs. it will be a never ending task keeping sycamore out. why do they want it gone won't the sudden loss of so many trees effect the ground under them. i understand that they use shetland cows to keep down the grass. pigs i suppose would do to much damage to the orchids.
how lucky are you our nearest tree is over 10 miles away.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »
Hello Ann,

have a look at the sales/wants adverts within

http://www.hebrideansheep.org.uk/

Ideally you need to source Hebrideans (or any other animal) as close to you as possible, since you should have an animal movement certificate if you transport them more than 60Km.  If the journey is over 8 hours there are more stringent regulations.  Possibly your neighbour may be able to help with transportation, or at least the loan of an approved trailer.

Good Luck,

John

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:16:37 pm »
Thanks for the website John - much appreciated

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »
Paul

Yes they are helping with the costs and there would not be a real sudden loss - we would be looking at over a 4-5 year period say 20 a year.

That's what they are suggesting anyway - it will leave plenty more mature tree's but only around the edges.

Regards

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS