Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Housing: which type?  (Read 5097 times)

Rich Tapestry

• Joined Nov 2008
Housing: which type?
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:34 pm »
I was about to buy (or make) some wooden shelters for my pigs. Someone has suggested that hardened polyurethane? polymer? ones are better, as the pigs chew (and ultimately destroy) the wood, and also wood is harder to keep hygienic.

I have ruled out corrugated metal pig arks as the arks are meant to be too hot in summer, too cold in winter?

I am a novice pig keeper, so does any of this make sense to any of you more experienced pig keepers?

Thanks
Rich Tea

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Housing: which type?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »

Living in Scotlamd not had the too hot problem with corrugated metal arc and in winter just use loads and loads of straw. I must admit that I like the look of the ones from Solway Feeders, they are made from recycled plastic.
Anne

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:19:06 pm »
Tin pig arks are fine as long there insulated or placed out of direct sun I.e under some tree's. As for the winter aslong as there is plenty of straw it will be fine.

Wooden pig arks are also fine aslong as they are made from good quality treated ply wood (ours are 18mm) and also have good ventlation.

never had a plastic ark but we did go and have a look at some i dont think they would be any better at insulating than single ply tin, they were also very light which is usless for pigs. We have a 8x6 insulated ark which is made fom galvanised steel and our sow still pushes it round like its light as a feather.

We have wooded,insulated steel and single ply tin arks, theres not that much between them in terms of there use, you just have to bed down the pigs to suit each ark.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:05 am »
I like the galvanised arks, with a heavy floor.  Lots of straw in them in the winter keeps them lovely and snuggly.  In the summer I made an 'awning' for out the front to give them lots of shade, and kept the back door open too to give lots of ventilation.

You can never underestimate the strength of a pig.  Go for the best made, heaviest arks you can get.  The doorways of mine have galv tin round them too to lessen the chewing.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:53 am »
That's very interesting Higgins11. 

I have 8 x 8 arks, and am really pleased how the farrowing has gone in one of them.  I've used cut straw and wood chippings for bedding (instead of just straw) to stop the build up of too much straw for the piglets to get caught up in. 

8x8 gives plenty of room for Mum to move about....but cosy enough to keep warm in this colder weather.......And room enough for me to get my old big bum in and out of too!! So pleased no one's had a camera about when I've been doing that   :) :) :) :) :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:33 pm »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »
We made ours from plywood. Just a basic rectangular shape, open fronted. My kune kunes have never tried to eat it or move it. Infact the tamworths were using it for a while and they didn't wreck it either.
I would say though that use very good screws to hold it together
http://i903/photobucket.com/albums/ac232/leebastow/photo-3.jpg

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:06 pm »
We used a redundant large plastic oil tank (scrubbed out first obviously) with one end cut off, for our Tamworths.  Plenty of straw in the bottom, and turned to face away from the prevailing wind.

We tried making straw shelters out of large bales, with corrugated iron as a roof, held down with heavy rocks.  They looked very impressive and snug and the pigs loved them - so much that they ate them ...

Reading other replies the secret seems to be plenty of bedding, replaced often - it gets eaten.

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »
Hello, would anyone use a stable for farrowing, provided that a shelf area was constructed so that piglets could move out of the way? I am worried it might be too large but could narrow it and snug it up with bails. About to embark on our first breeding venture 9still looking for a sow in buckinghamshire area). I bought a wooden ark from Pig Paradise and I have to say that our weaners have loved it. Nibbled it a bit but the two doors keep it airy in the summer and it snugs up nicely in the winter. Thanks Sal :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:19:58 am »
Several people I know over here use a barn or stable for farrowing.  It can be made smaller with straw bales.  Good idea to have a creep area. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS