Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand Mincer required  (Read 1968 times)

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
Hand Mincer required
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »
Could anyone recommend a good metal hand mincer that won't break after being used 5 times.

We make up our own mince, and bought from a good cook shop, a metal hand mincer which was made in China, the only make stocked.  Last night on using it the bearings inside started to disintegrate.  Husband will be taking back to the shop later this week.

We don't want to buy an electric one as these are too expensive and at present it would not be used that much.  I just want a good old fashioned metal hand mincer that i can remeber my gran using.

Can anyone suggest a good make/site?

Thanks

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hand Mincer required
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »
You need an old Spong - we went through the same issue. OH picked one up on Ebay.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:12:55 pm »
Ours is a "Sausagemaker" cast Iron Meat grinder, it is probably made in China, but works fine for us.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:10:10 pm »
Could anyone recommend a good metal hand mincer that won't break after being used 5 times.

We make up our own mince, and bought from a good cook shop, a metal hand mincer which was made in China, the only make stocked.  Last night on using it the bearings inside started to disintegrate.  Husband will be taking back to the shop later this week.

We don't want to buy an electric one as these are too expensive and at present it would not be used that much.  I just want a good old fashioned metal hand mincer that i can remeber my gran using.

Can anyone suggest a good make/site?

Thanks

I do feel sorry for you , for a week ago I threw out an 82  mm diameter plate Empire cast iron hand mincer Circa 1925 ish , for no one had come forth and asked for it when I offered it in the food processing section.

I do however still have the almost brand new stainless steel plates @ 5, 8 & 10 mm plus a stainless steel cutter that has been used the same amount.
 I also retained the three stainless steel sausage stuffer tubes @ 10 , 15 & 25 mm internal diameters with approx 190 mm long tube for the skins plus the sausage stuffer backing plate which is also in stainless steel .

All the bits were imported from the USA in April this year , they cost me an arm and a leg by the time I'd had to pay the post office's vat collection fee & handling charges etc. plus VAT .

So , if you do get a big mincer and the cutters or plates are no good or you want the other bits to up grade it get back to me .

You can't use high carbon steel cutters on a stainless plate or a stainless cutter on high carbon plates because one will gouge out metal from the other and you don't want that stuff in your sausages or mince.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:16:12 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:07:59 am »
I have two clamp to the table types somewhere in our lock-up. You are welcome to one if you would like it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS