Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free course on chicken behaviour  (Read 7123 times)

DrVickyS

• Joined Oct 2014
Free course on chicken behaviour
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:34:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am a poultry scientist at SRUC and in April 2015 we will be running a free  :idea: course on poultry behaviour and welfare, focussing on the back yard chicken.

What would you like to hear about in our course?  We are already covering behaviour patterns of chickens, the senses, welfare and ethics, ways to assess your birds' welfare, welfare problems of commone production systems (commercial and hobby flocks) and emergency killing, transport and slaughter.

I can't cover nutrition of chickens (that is a whole other course!  :-[ ) but any thoughts related to behaviour appreciated.

There will be a 'landing page' that you can sign up for the course soon, on Coursera's website, if it sounds of interest to you.

Thanks for your help.

Vicky

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Free course on chicken behaviour
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »
awesome, would love to. I was looking at the HNC and MSc on your website the other day, unfortunately can't afford the fees (already have a PhD so probably being greedy!).

I would like to see something on the natural behaviour of cock birds and their body language-and if there's any way of minimising the risk of them becoming aggressive to humans.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »
no idea but please post a link when the course goes live id love to attend...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:46 pm »
Hierarchical changes when new stock or ageing/dying/sales alter established order.  I am watching and managing several flock changes and the dynamic is fascinating but research data would be good please.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »
I'd like to know what is considered normal behaviour which can be mistaken for illness or normal changes. Such times as broodiness, bullying, the moult etc. probably not relevant to many but a big help to the beginner.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
Just like Ellied I'd be very interested in learning more about hierarchical behaviour.
I have watched with endless fascination (and concern) a (lone) chick growing up and it's troubles integrating with the flock, and more recently introducing new birds to the flock and I would love to understand better what I observe.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:30 am »
I think that chicken behaviour is just the same as any animal behaviour (including human) in that "strangers" are perceived  as a threat and, according to species is ignored, bullied or driven out!
Left alone things sort themselves out though it grieves us in the process. I introduced a new bird yesterday into my flock and the poor dear was beaten up dreadfully, spent all day hiding in the brambles but, I know that in three or four days it will be part of the flock.
Our instinct is to defend the newcomer and SLAP those bullies but this probably hinders the process.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:45 am »
is it an on-line course?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:04:42 pm »
When I said I'd be interested in learning more about hierarchical behaviour, I actually meant learning about behavioural rituals (for example I have heard of cockerels 'waltzing') so that I'd be able to better understand  what is happening (rather than just guess) when I see behaviours like displays of dominance / threats / bullying etc. I find the more I actually understand what is going on (and therefore able to better judge what it is 'normal' under the circumastances) the less I feel the urge to intervene.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:38 am »
Likewise I have successfully integrated new stock several times now but it is still a fascinating subject and useful to know what academic research makes of the same situation I see.  And there are plenty folk haven't done it or do it different to me and maybe I'd get new ideas too.  I never put a new hen in alone for instance, always 2 or more to avoid that battering.  I've just added 4 pol Marans a month ago, and last weekend 2 CCL and 2 Scots Greys on the same day, all growers but different sized pairs.  No beatings, an odd peck or chase but nothing more. With 4 of the established hens in moult those are less bothered too.

There was a recent 3 part BBC documentary on cat behaviour which I watched with interest tho their spectacular discovery about farm cat females sharing litters I had observed about 4 years earlier when I had 2 siste s give birth and one of their retained 6 month old daughters kept climbing in with the kittens too.  Nearly had kittens myself!  But maybe worth knowing in advance..

PS for the course suggestions perhaps differences in flocks with and without a cockerel present.  And possibly where more than one cockerel is sharing a flock of hens.  Territory, share or divide, different/same ages, related/not..

Oh yes and red mite treatments/techniques if anything new in that battle!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:25 am »
Where is the course, online or at a college?

If it's online I will be very interested; if it requires me to go somewhere, then I can't do that.  Timing is bad for travel as it's lambing time !

As well as the topics covered I would be interested to know about poultry behaviour when a predator appears - the response I see is panic and scattering - it would be good to understand that, and if it's ever successful, for example in a forest setting.  Primitive sheep do it, presumably because if they scatter then only one will be caught - doesn't seem to work with the fox and hens.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:32:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 11:26:07 am »
Coursera courses are all online-there's a huge amount to choose from :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 02:25:59 pm »
Coursera courses are all online-there's a huge amount to choose from :)

Ooh thanks - I'll have a look.  I'll definitely want to do it then.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 11:03:29 am »
Sounds great!! I'd love to so it!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 02:50:35 pm »
Will definitely be signing up, and any other poultry courses that come up too.  :excited:
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS